Turkey Spaghetti Squash Lasagna
If you haven’t joined the spaghetti squash craze, it’s about time you did! It has very little calories and is so rich, flavorful and filling. Depending on how you cook it, spaghetti squash can also have a pasta-like consistency, making it an interesting sub for pasta dishes… Or in this case: lasagna.
That’s why I choose to come up with a take on a spaghetti squash lasagna, layered with lean ground turkey, pasta sauce, gooey mozzarella cheese and even some sautéed spinach and onions.
This Turkey Spaghetti Squash Lasagna is perfect for the upcoming fall; it’s filling and comforting without the guilt. You can make it your own too just by adding different veggies or chicken, and different types of cheeses.
It’s an all-around healthy meal and is almost better the second day as leftovers… Very much like a traditional lasagna. 🙂
QUICK TIP: In this recipe I chose to cook up the turkey and season it with Italian spices; if you don’t have the time or ingredients just cook it salt and pepper and toss in about half of the pasta sauce. Alternate layers of spaghetti squash, meat and cheese. The veggies are optional if you have the time.
For the Meat:
1 lb. lean ground turkey
1 tsp. Italian seasoning
1 tsp. parsley
1/4 tsp. fennel
1/2 tsp. onion powder
2 tsp. minced garlic
1/2 tsp. paprika
1/2 tsp. red pepper flake
salt and pepper
For the Lasagna:
1 medium-large spaghetti squash
1 jar pasta sauce
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- First you want to cook the spaghetti squash. There are many ways you can do this but the easiest way is to use the crockpot (surprise surprise, lol). Pierce the squash with a knife 4-5 times and place in the crockpot on LOW for 3-4 hours. I actually found a great post on how to do it step by step that was extremely helpful.
- Once you’re done with the squash heat a medium size skillet and spray with cooking spray. Add ground turkey and start to break up.
- Add Italian seasoning, parsley, fennel, onion powder, minced garlic, paprika, red pepper flake, salt and pepper. Stir to completely combine and continue to cook until turkey is cooked thoroughly.
- Add about half of the jar of pasta sauce to the meat and stir. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- In a 13×9 pan spray with cooking spray, scoop about half of the spaghetti squash and spread out into a thin layer.
- Scoop all of the turkey mixture on-top of that and spread evenly.
- Add 1 cup of cheese and sautéed veggies if you want.
- Scoop remaining squash on top of that and spread evenly.
- Pour remaining sauce on top.
- Sprinkle with 1 cup of cheese. Cover with foil and place in the oven for 30 minutes.
- Remove foil and bake for another 15 minutes.
- For a little crisp on the cheese turn the broiler on and cook an additional 5 minutes.
- Take out of the oven and cool for 10 minutes or so. Cut into 8 squares and serve.
Serving Size: 1 square (1/8th of the pan)
Fat: 13 g
Carbohydrates: 12 g
Fiber: 2 g
Sugar: 6 g
Protein: 21 g
The Testosterone Chef is a cookbook all about eating in a way that supports your hormones. With 90+ recipes for both men and women, there's something for everyone in here...
Click here to check it out!