Sweet and Spicy Turkey Burger
Who doesn’t love a good burger?? I mean you really can’t go wrong… a burger is the ultimate comfort food!
When you’re trying to be healthier there are great burger options you can swap out the ground beef for ground chicken, bison or in this case I used lean ground turkey.
Making a swap like this can not only cut out calories but also fat… which leaves a little extra room for some cheese! What burger is complete without the cheese??! (answer- no burger I want to have! haha)
With just these few adjustment you have a healthier version of your favorite comfort food with so much flavor from the caramelized onions, sweet raspberry preserves, the nutty flavor of manchego cheese all topped off with a hint of spice from the jalapeños!
Sweet and Spicy Turkey Burger Ingredients:
1 large sweet onion, thinly sliced
1 tbsp. unsalted butter
1/2 cup bone broth
1- lb. lean ground turkey
a dash of worscheshire sauce
4 tbsp. raspberry perserves
2 oz. manchego cheese, sliced
4 hamburger buns
salt and pepper
arugula or spinach (optional topping)
- In a large skillet heat butter on medium high heat.
- When butter is melted, add sliced onions to the pan toss in butter and turn heat down to medium-low.
- Cook for 15 minutes, stirring frequently to assure they don’t burn.
- Add the bone broth the skillet stir to incorporate.
- Let cook for another 10 minutes until all liquid is absorbed and onions are cooked down and caramel in color. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- To prep the burger, split the meat into 4-4 oz. patties.
- Pat out into round patties, season both sides with salt and pepper and a few dashes of worschershire sauce.
- Heat a large skillet on medium high heat.
- Spray with cooking spray.
- Once the pan is hot add patties to the pan, lower the heat to medium-low cover and cook for 7 minutes.
- Flip and cook for an additional 5-7 minutes or until the turkey is fully cooked.
- Right before the burgers are finished cooking place 1/2 oz. of cheese on each burger patty cover and cook until cheese is melted.
- Serve on a toasted bun or in a lettuce wrap with some arugula, 1 tbsp. of preserves, caramelized onions and jalapeños on-top.
Serving Size: 1 burger (4 oz. patty, caramelized onions, 1/2 oz. of cheese, 1 tbsp. raspberry preserves, bun not included)
Fat: 16 g
Carbohydrates: 14 g
Fiber: 0 g
Sugar: 13 g
Sodium: 170 mg (w/o added salt)
Protein: 26 g
The Testosterone Chef is a cookbook all about eating in a way that supports your hormones. With 90+ recipes for both men and women, there's something for everyone in here...
Click here to check it out!