Spicy Potato Hash
One of the most popular meals in our house is a skillet of some sort…
Eggs, potatoes, spices, cheese, meat; pretty much anything we have leftover. It’s a great option for people that are on a budget like we are but want something healthy (and filling at that). Yes, you will most likely see a few skillet recipes in the future!
This spicy potato hash is great because you can add eggs to it and to make a full meal or you can have it as a great flavorful and filling side dish.
The current recipe is a bit spicy, but you can always put less spices if its a little much for you. When I made this the other day I asked my husband (Wow! That is going to take some getting used to 🙂 ) if he thought it was too spicy and with his mouth full he looked up at me, smiled and shook his head no. So, I guess that meant he liked it!
3 russet potatoes, peeled
1 tbsp. unsalted butter
2 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. cumin
1/2 tsp. red pepper flake
1/2 tsp. seasoning salt
2 garlic cloves
1/4 cup shredded mexican cheese
1/4 cup red onion, finely chopped
1/4 cup pickled jalapenos, finely chopped
- To make the potatoes, peel and place whole on microwave-safe plate. I usually use the baked potato button which usually makes the potatoes come out just right, but if you don’t have that button on your microwave it’s about 5 min.
- While the potatoes are cooking in a large skillet on medium heat add the tbsp. of butter and melt completely.
- Add chopped onion and jalapenos and cook for about 5-8 minutes until onions are cooked and softened.
- Once the potatoes are done take out of microwave and cut into chunks (I usually try to stay within 1/2-1 inch size pieces).
- Add potatoes to the onion/jalapeno mixture and gently toss.
- Add chili powder, cumin, pepper flake, seasoning salt, and garlic and gently combine.
- At this point you can cook them as long as you want. If you want them crispy and have the time you can let them brown up a bit more, but I usually let them cook on low for about 10 minutes (flipping occasionally so they don’t burn).
- When they have cooked to your liking, turn off the heat, sprinkle in your cheese and gently toss until all cheese is melted and combined.
- Serve and ENJOY!
Fat: 6 g
Carbohydrates: 26 g
Fiber: 2 g
Protein: 5 g