Spicy Cajun Tuna Cakes
My fiance and I both work from home and try to eat healthy, but it usually leads to having the same thing for lunch everyday. Trying to switch things up but still keep protein high, I decided to try something new with the ingredients we had on-hand: 3 cans of tuna, oatmeal, and the seasonings that just may make it work.
The result: spicy cajun tuna cakes 🙂
Tuna is also extremely inexpensive and something you probably have on hand (whether you forgot about it or not).
To make this a bit more of a treat, substitute the tuna with lump crab meat… Yummy!
For the tuna cake:
3 cans of chunk light tuna (in water)
1/2 cup white onion chopped (I like to use green onions too; you can substitute 3 green onions here)
1 1/2 tbsp cajun seasoning
1/8 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
2 egg whites
1/2 cup old fashioned oats (can substitute w/ panko)
1 tsp hot sauce (we used sriracha)
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
For the sauce:
For the sauce, we just used a store-bought remoulade we had in our fridge. It paired incredibly well though and turned out delicious. Just make sure to pay attention to the serving size (in this case, it was 1 Tbsp/serving). Sauces can quickly add more calories than you think – in addition to sodium – so it’s best to measure them out.
- Open cans of tuna. Place in a strainer and with a fork press some of the liquid out.
- In a medium bowl, combine tuna and remaining 8 ingredients and mix well.
- Form mixture into 6 equal patties.
- Place in the fridge for about an hour so they can set up.
- Using a large skillet, spray with cooking spray and cook tuna cakes over medium heat about 3 to 4 minutes on each side. (You just want them to be golden brown.)
- Serve with sauce on top or on the side.
For the tuna cakes:
Serving Size: 1 tuna cake
Total Fat: .5 g
Carbohydrates: 7 g
Sodium: 278 mg
Protein: 15 g
The Testosterone Chef is a cookbook all about eating in a way that supports your hormones. With 90+ recipes for both men and women, there's something for everyone in here...
Click here to check it out!