That said, these skinny peanut butter banana muffins are perfect for breakfast or even as an afternoon snack with a cup of coffee (I’m all about that pairing!).
Theses muffins have such a great texture; they are almost closer to a sweet bread or dense cake, extremely moist and very flavorful.
You taste every flavor that’s in them from the fresh bananas in the batter to the little bit of cinnamon to the decadent peanut butter on top.
I’m sure you’re thinking that doesn’t sound like something “skinny”, but they truly are…
These are also very “kid-friendly” and they won’t even realize that they’re pretty darn good for you!
3 overripe bananas, mashed
1/3 cup all natural peanut butter (I used Skippy All Natural)
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/4 cup light brown sugar
1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 cup old fashioned oats, ground (in food processor)
1 1/4 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
12 tsp. all natural peanut butter (for the tops of the muffins)
- First, if you don’t have overripe bananas – don’t fear! I actually found this great post on how to quickly ripen bananas. It’s super easy: preheat the oven to 300° and place bananas (in the peel) on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Place in the oven for about 30 minutes.
- The peels will be completely black and the inside is mushy which is exactly what you want.
- Place to the side and let cool.
- When bananas are completely cool take out the peel and place into a medium-sized bowl and mash.
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Whisk bananas, 1/3 cup peanut butter, milk, applesauce, brown sugar and vanilla.
- In a small bowl, whisk together ground oats, baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon.
- Slowly add oat mixture to batter and stir to combine.
- Spray a muffin pan with cooking spray and fill about 2/3 full.
- Top each muffin with 1 tsp. of peanut butter and swirl with a toothpick.
- Bake for approximately 20-25 minutes.
- When all done, let muffins cool in the pan for approximately 30 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack.
Serving Size: 1 muffin
Adapted from: I Food Real