Skinny Cinnamon Sugar Scones
Honestly, these will not only make your house smell amazing (my husband actually came out of his office and asked, “What are you making?!”), but they’ll pair perfectly with a hot cup of coffee – or even a nice cappuccino, if you want to be fancy with it.
These are definitely something I will make again and again… They aren’t the real buttery deal, but they really hit the spot. The mix of the cinnamon and sugar on top give you feel of sitting in a coffee shop and reading a good book (which in my case would probably be a cookbook).
I really love being able to share these recipes because like I’ve said before, when you’re really trying to eat good and workout, you feel like you have to limit yourself and not enjoy the little things.
You may not be able to go to your local Starbucks and get any of the pastries there, but you can make these in the comfort of your own home and enjoy without the guilt.
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup sugar
2 tsp. vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tbsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
3 tbsp. unsalted butter, chilled and cubed
1 tbsp. brown sugar
1 tsp. sugar
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1 egg white
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl stir together buttermilk, sugar, vanilla extract and 1 egg.
- In a large bowl use a hand mixer and mix together flour, baking powder and salt.
- Add the butter and mix until the mixture resembles fine crumbs.
- Add in the milk mixture and stir until completely combined. ( make sure to not over mix)
- Pour the dough onto a floured surface and knead the dough a few times and form into a circle on the baking sheet.
- Taking a pizza cutter or knife (sprayed with cooking spray) and cut the circle into 8 pieces.
- In a small bowl combine the brown sugar, 1 tsp. of sugar and cinnamon.
- Brush the scones with the egg white and then take the sugar mixture and sprinkle over the tops of the scones.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes.
Servings: 8 scones
Serving Size: 1 scone