POPcorn Chicken Bites
There are a lot of foods that you think you have to give up or limit yourself when you’re trying to get in shape (or just all around be healthy). Well, that’s why I do what I do – I want to create meals that make you feel like you’re cheating when you’re not! If you have to stop in the middle of your meal and say “you sure this is healthier?” (we just did this last night with the blackened shrimp bowls), then I’m doing my job right?
You shouldn’t have to sacrifice flavor in the healthier foods that you eat… It’s about finding more creative ways to cook your food that are going to help you enjoy it so much more than you do!
After making a few meals like this, you’ll start to notice that you’ll pick these options over some of the unhealthy options that you may be used to… craving wings and potato wedges? I got you!
These POPcorn chicken bites are a great “no guilt” meal with a delightfully crispy and crunchy breading around the juicy chicken. And what chicken bite is complete without the perfect dipping sauce? I have a sweet and savory sauce that pairs perfectly 🙂
If a sweet sauce isn’t your thing, try few of my others:
TIP: These popcorn chicken bites are a great make-ahead meal too; you can even cook these, let cool completely, place cooled chicken bites on a baking sheet and place in freezer until hard, then transfer to a freezer bag and freeze for 1-2 months… So when you’re looking for a stress free dinner or a snack for the kids, preheat the oven, pull these out of the freezer, bake and done!
POPcorn Chicken Bites Ingredients:
[ingredients title=”For the Chicken”]
- 1 lb. boneless skinless chicken, trimmed and cut into 1 inch chunks
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 bag barbecue POPchips, chopped in a food processor
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 tsp. seasoning salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
[ingredients title=”Maple Dijon Dipping Sauce”]
- 1/4 cup agave maple syrup ( I use the Madhava, found at Target)
- 1/4 cup dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup plain non-fat greek yogurt
NOTE: You may have a few leftover pieces of raw chicken, you can crunch up more chips or just cook up plain. 🙂
- Preheat oven to 425°. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Once you have all the chicken trimmed and cut into 1 inch chunks, season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- You’re going to coat the chicken using 3 separate ingredients in an assembly line. In one shallow bowl add cornstarch, whisk in seasoning salt and pepper. Next shallow bowl add 2 beaten eggs. The last bowl add crushed up Pop Chips.
- Start by taking the chicken pieces dipping in cornstarch first, then beaten eggs, and lastly crushed Pop Chips, pressing into each side to fully coat, then place on baking sheet. Repeat until you have coated each chicken chunk.
- Spray tops of chicken with cooking spray and place into the oven for 15-20 minutes or until internal temperature is 165° ( I like to turn mine about halfway through just to get a little crunch on both sides).
- Serve immediately alone or with your favorite sauce.
Servings: 5 approx.
Serving Size: 6 pieces approx.
Fat: 5 g
Carbohydrates: 18 g
Sugar: 2 g
Fiber: >1 g
Sodium: 261 mg (w/o added salt)
Protein: 24 g
The Testosterone Chef is a cookbook all about eating in a way that supports your hormones. With 90+ recipes for both men and women, there's something for everyone in here...
Click here to check it out!