Open-Faced Breakfast Sandwich
Some say that breakfast is the most important meal of the day but I say if that’s true why not have breakfast for dinner too??
My husband and I absolutely love breakfast food but because we practice intermittent fasting we tend to fast until lunch time so unfortunately we miss out on the goodness of breakfast.
That is until we started making breakfast for dinner… now that’s where it’s at!
All that deliciousness of the breakfast foods we love but right at end of the day instead of the beginning…
Whether you eat at breakfast time or you save those meals for later in the day you’re not going to want to pass on this open-face breakfast sandwich!
This open-faced breakfast sandwich is not your typical breakfast sandwich- leveled up with a layer of manchego cheese, bacon, a perfectly fried egg, raw honey and a dusting of cayenne pepper to round it all out.
This dish is an explosion of flavors that will keep you coming back for more!
And saving a dish like this for the later in the day since it can be a little more calorie dense will leave you feeling so full and happy (your belly will be thanking you!) with still being able to reaching your goals and stay on track!
NOTE: This recipe is for 1 breakfast sandwich (2 halves) but can easily be doubled, tripled… depending on how many you’re making.
Open-Faced Breakfast Sandwich Ingredients:
1 english muffin (the brand “Glutino” is a great option for gluten free)
1/2 oz. manchego cheese, thinly sliced
2 tsp. raw honey
1 slice of uncured thick-cut bacon
freshly chopped parsley
salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to broil.
- To prep the breakfast sandwich start to cook the bacon.
- Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium heat.
- Once pan is heated add bacon and cook turning frequently so that the bacon can cook evenly.
- Cook a bit longer for desired crispness.
- Once cooked to your likeness place onto a paper towel lined plate to soak up the excess grease, set aside.
- Place your english muffin in the toaster and start to toast, since the eggs will cook fast.
- To fry the eggs is going to be pretty simple, heat a non-stick skillet on medium-high heat, spray with cooking spray.
- Crack eggs into the pan.
- Fill up a measuring up with a less than 1/4 cup of water and pour that into the pan with the eggs, this will start to steam and the eggs will bubble up on the sides.
- Quickly cover the pan and let cook for about another minute, until the whites are fully cooked and yolk is still running ( look to the pictures above for an example on how the egg should look). Remove pan from heat.
- To build the sandwich take the toasted english muffin and place on a foil lined baking sheet with the two halves facing up.
- Lay the sliced manchego evenly on-top of each half and place into the oven for just a few minutes, until melted.
- Remove from oven drizzle the 2 tsp. of honey over the top of the english muffins, then layer with bacon (half a piece for each half of english muffin), 1 fried egg for each half, a dash of cayenne, parsley, and salt and pepper.
- Enjoy immediately.
Serving Size: 1 Open-Faced Breakfast Sandwich (2 halves) *
Fat: 20 g
Carbohydrates: 37 g
Fiber: 1 g
Sugar: 12 g
Sodium: 525 mg (w/o added salt)
Protein: 22 g
* A great way to make this more low calorie and low-fat, opt for no cheese and switch to canadian bacon instead of bacon. This will lower the fat but still give you a decent amount of protein. Either way you choose this will be delicious!
The Testosterone Chef is a cookbook all about eating in a way that supports your hormones. With 90+ recipes for both men and women, there's something for everyone in here...
Click here to check it out!