Movie Theater Cookies – A Simple Yet Delicious Stay-In Treat
These movie theater cookies came about one night when my fiancé and I needed a sweet fix, and what can I say…
Popcorn and m&ms sounded like a great idea. (Sometimes the best recipes happen late at night when you have a craving for… oh… just about everything.)
This is the perfect mix of everything you could ever want in a cookie; all that’s missing is a blanket and a great movie!
2 cups plus 2 tbsp. all purpose flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
12 tbsp. unsalted butter softened
1 cup brown sugar, packed
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg plus 1 egg yolk
2 tsp. vanilla extract
2 cups M&M’s
- Preheat oven to 325°
- Since you’ll want to get everything together, start by making popcorn. You can use microwave popcorn if you want to (my mother my would kill you though; microwaving popcorn is against everything she believes in. You can do it either way, but I have to say… homemade may take a little longer, but it’s totally worth it!). Safe to say, you’ll need a pot or a popcorn maker.
- Cover the bottom of the pot with vegetable oil. I usually heat it and throw one kernel in until it pops, which is when you’ll know it’s ready. Pour in popcorn kernels to cover the bottom of pan. Cook until done (when they’re all popped).
- When the popcorn is done transfer to a bowl.
- Melt about 1/2 stick of butter and pour over popcorn, shaking the bowl to distribute evenly, then salt to taste and shake again. (Yes, you should also try some at this step.)
- Make sure to line your cookie sheets with either parchment paper or silicone liners (which are amazing!).
- Whisk the dry ingredients in a medium bowl and set off to the side.
- Then mix the butter and sugars together with an electric mixer until combined. Beat in the egg, yolk and vanilla. Add in dry ingredients slowly until combined.
- Add popcorn and M&M’s. You should have something that looks as delicious as this:
- Next take a 1/2 cup and scoop out cookie dough. Use your hand to roll into a ball. Separate it in half and place on baking sheet with edges facing up (don’t roll again).
- Place about four on a baking sheet (they will spread out a little while cooking). Bake for approximately 11-14 minutes. When ready, the cookies should be soft in the middle and light brown on the edges. I always say its better to be a little undercooked since – as you know – cookies tend to harden up after you take them out of the oven.
The Testosterone Chef is a cookbook all about eating in a way that supports your hormones. With 90+ recipes for both men and women, there's something for everyone in here...
Click here to check it out!