Mocha Coconut Biscotti
If you’re a Starbucks fan like I am you know that every summer they come out with a coconut flavored syrup…
They feature it in a Mocha Coconut Frappuccino – which is delicious, but pretty high in calories and sugar. To compensate for that, I’ll get a few pumps of the coconut syrup in an iced coffee to cut the calories, while still having a little bit of that summer flavor.
(Side note – iced coffee is a daily thing for me… It’s really hard for me to do hot coffee without getting overheated since it’s like 100° here, haha.)
I also don’t frequently get any pastry items from Starbucks, but occasionally I will get a biscotti since they’re always pretty low in calories and pair so well with my iced coffee…
Given that the mocha and coconut flavors are perfect together, I thought I would try to make my own mocha coconut biscotti at home… I was my attempt at trying to cut down some of the calories and fat but still have that mocha coconut flavor that I love 🙂
When it comes to baking, it’s really hard to change up a recipe too much because it is so exact… As a result, there’s a TON of trial and error. With that being said, I got these biscotti under 200 calories apiece and they really hit the spot when you’re craving something sweet that will pair great with your coffee.
2 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup light brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla an
1/4 cup shredded coconut flakes
1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
1/4 cup shredded coconut flakes
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl mix together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In another bowl, beat together (using a hand mixer) sugars and applesauce until fully combined.
- Using the mixer, set on lowest setting and beat in eggs one at a time. Then add vanilla and beat until fully incorporated.
- Start to slowly add dry mixture to wet mixture and beat until it’s a dough-like consistency (completely combined).
- Add 1/4 cup shredded coconut and mix into the dough – you may have to use your hands to mix thoroughly.
- Place dough onto the baking sheet and divide into two equal pieces. Pat into approximately 9-inch long logs (make sure to leave room in-between each log for spreading when baking).
- Place into the oven for 35 minutes.
- Take out and let cool for 10 minutes. Transfer to cutting board and cut into 1-inch biscottis (see picture below).
- Place biscottis back on the cookie sheet and put back into the oven for 12-15 minutes until crispy.
- Let cool on a wire rack.
- Melt 1/2 cup chocolate chips. I do it in the microwave in intervals of 20 seconds; pour chocolate into a ziploc bag and cut a little corner off the bag (like a pastry bag).
- Take the bag and drizzle chocolate over the tops of the biscottis, measure out 1/4 cup coconut and sprinkle over the biscottis.
- Let cool completely and till the chocolate hardens.
Servings: approx. 18 biscottis
Serving Size: approx. 1 biscotti
Fat: 4 g
Carbohydrates: 30 g
Sugar: 13 g
Fiber: 2 g
Protein: 3 g
The Testosterone Chef is a cookbook all about eating in a way that supports your hormones. With 90+ recipes for both men and women, there's something for everyone in here...
Click here to check it out!