Mediterranean Egg Strata
With it being a New Year and all I have a lot of NEW things coming to the blog!
One of them bring trying to incorporate different flavors inspired from different cultures into my recipes… my goal is really to build a site that everyone can find healthy and delicious recipes to aid in their weight loss or just living a healthy lifestyle!
We are all going to have our favorite go to recipes (I know I have a good handful), but I want you to be able to come to the blog and always discover something different and possibly even try something you never have before!
And who knows those may become new favorites as well!
So with that being said I’m going to start my 2018 off with this super flavorful and comforting Mediterranean Egg Strata… now you may be asking what is a strata? Its really just another name for a layer casserole in most cases a breakfast casserole.
My Mediterranean Egg Strata is packed with so many of the traditional flavors of artichokes, olives, spinach, sundried tomatoes, and even some delicious feta cheese to round it all out!
Other than this dish being so flavorful and yummy its healthier which we all love and its very easy to pull together.
That’s honestly how I thought about doing this combination was I had a lot of random ingredients in my pantry and some bread I needed to go through… sometimes the best dishes come from those situations. 🙂
TIP: For best results I would prep this the night before and let it sit in the fridge overnight to soak up all those flavors.
Mediterranean Egg Strata Ingredients:
3 brioche hamburger buns (@180 calories a bun), cubed about 1-2 inch pieces
1/2 sweet onion, finely chopped
1 – 5 oz. bag baby spinach
20 kalamata olive sliced, chopped
15 g sundried tomatoes, chopped
2 tbsp. unsalted butter
2 cups 2 % milk
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 tsp. dry mustard
1/3 cup egg whites
56 g crumbled feta cheese
2 tbsp. chopped parsley
salt & pepper
13×9 baking pan
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- In a 13×9 pan spray with cooking spray, layer cubed bread evenly in the pan.
- In a large skillet sprayed with cooking spray, turn heat to medium. Add onions and saute for about about 3 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the bag of spinach. Start to frequently stir the spinach as it start to wilt. Continue to stir as it cooks and all liquid has been absorbed and all ingredients are incorporated. Season with salt and pepper and remove from heat.
- Start to layer your casserole dish evenly with the onion and spinach mixture first, over the bread cubes. Then sprinkle the chopped artichokes and olives over that. Then lastly sprinkle the chopped sun-dried tomatoes and crumbled feta evenly over that. Set aside.
- In medium sauce pan, turn heat on medium. Add butter and melt. Then add milk, whisk together until combined. Add dry mustard and garlic powder, whisk together. Season well with salt and pepper then remove from heat.
- In a large measuring cup or bowl add eggs and egg whites and whisk together, season with salt and pepper. Take the milk/butter mixture and slowly add to the eggs whisking constantly ( you want to gradually add it in so you don’t cook the eggs).
- Once the eggs and milk/butter mixture are fully combined you will evenly pour that over your casserole. Season the top with more salt and pepper.
- For best results, cover and refrigerate overnight – or just place into to the oven uncovered for 45-50 minutes, until fully cooked and browned.
- When fully cooked sprinkle with chopped parsley and serve.
Serving Size: 1/8 of a 13×9 pan
Fat: 9 g
Carbohydrates: 15 g
Fiber: 0 g
Sodium: 236 mg
Sugar: 3 g
Protein: 9 g