Low-Calorie Holiday Brownie Bites
It’s Christmas time and you know what that means: sweets!
All these delicious Christmas cookies and treats around makes it very hard to make good choices, let alone stay on track if you’re on a diet (or just trying to eat healthy)! For me, just in the last week I’ve made cookies twice – either for gifts or having company over! It’s so hard to resist all these goodies and though it’s okay to have one or two, I feel like if I cave and have one then I’ll want three more, lol.
These low-calorie holiday brownie bites are the perfect option for that sweet tooth… The little touch of holiday sprinkles adds a bit more sweetness – and of course they look so festive!!
I took a traditional brownie recipe and replaced some ingredients to make it healthier, in addition to making the brownies bite-sized treats, and they ended up coming to just 56 calories apiece! 🙂
The key to these brownies is undercooking them a bit so they have a little more richness and are more brownie-like than cake-like.
They are also really easy and fun to make… You can throw these into the Christmas cooking-making day and the kids can decorate them with their favorite sprinkles, then just pop them in the oven!
And while everyone around is having a little nibble of cookies and batter here and there (this batter is amazing… I mean, I had to try it), you can have a couple of these delicious bites to join in the fun! 🙂
1-1/2 cups all purpose flour
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3 tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
2 tbsp. vegetable oil
4 tbsp. plain non-fat greek yogurt
1 tbsp. white vinegar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/4 tsp. butter extract (optional)
1 cup cold water
assorted holiday sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt. Whisk until combined.
- Make three wells in the dry ingredients. In one add the oil and greek yogurt, the second vinegar, vanilla and butter extract in the last.
- Start to mix with a hand mixer on low until fully combined.
- Prep two mini muffin pans with cooking spray, then use a tablespoon to measure out the batter (about 1 tbsp. per muffin).
- Sprinkle with 1/2 tsp. of sprinkles, then place into the oven and bake for 6-8 minutes, depending on your oven.
- Remember, if you want them more brownie-like in constancy, undercook them a bit. Take out of the oven and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Servings: 30 brownie bites w/ sprinkles
Serving Size: 1 brownie bite w/ sprinkles
Fat: 1 g
Carbohydrates: 10 g
Sugar: 5 g
Fiber: 0 g
Protein: 1 g