Italian Chicken Bake
One way to keep yourself on track is to have easy go-to meals during the week that are also delicious!
Lately, I’m loving the crock-pot… Whether it’s turkey meatballs or kung pao meatballs, it’s great to have these easy meals you can just throw together and have them waiting for you when you come home.
I also love a meal that fits my calories and goals perfectly – and this Italian chicken bake fits the bill! Not only is it cheesy and flavorful, but it makes you feel full and satisfied since it’s packed with protein!
Once you put this in the oven the smell of tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, and oregano will fill the house. You will think you’re having a rich flavorful Italian dish.. Oh wait, you are! 🙂
TIP: If you don’t have time for the crock-pot you can also cook up the chicken on the stove or even grill it. Then simply shred it, mix with the pasta sauce and build the casserole from there.
Italian Chicken Bake Ingredients:
2 lbs. boneless skinless chicken breast, trimmed
1 – 25 oz. jar four cheese pasta sauce (or any sauce you like)
1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
1 8-0z. fresh mozzarella
8 oz. grape tomatoes, sliced thin
salt and pepper
- Once the chicken is all trimmed, place into the crock-pot (sprayed with cooking spray) and cover with the whole jar of pasta sauce.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 6-7 hours.
- When the chicken is all cooked take it out of the crock-pot and shred (it should fall apart very easily).
- Add shredded chicken back to the crock-pot and combine with the sauce.
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Spray a 13×9 pan with cooking spray, pour chicken/sauce mixture into the pan. Top with panko evenly.
- Cut tomatoes and mozzarella into small slices and place the tomatoes on top of the chicken in a straight line (width-wise). Do the same with the mozzarella. Repeat until you have filled the pan lengthwise.
- Sprinkle with oregano, salt and pepper, cover with foil and cook for 20-25 minutes.
- Take foil off. Turn on broiler and cook for an additional 2-4 minutes depending on how crisp you want to cheese to be.
- Once it is all done, cut into 6 equal slices and serve.
Serving Size: 1 square (1/6 of a 13×9 pan)
The Testosterone Chef is a cookbook all about eating in a way that supports your hormones. With 90+ recipes for both men and women, there's something for everyone in here...
Click here to check it out!