Healthy Turkey Taco Meatballs
I know – another meatball recipe… But I just can’t help myself since making meatballs like this are a great way to pack in a lot of flavor while keeping things lean and healthy.
Cooking these in the crockpot – in whatever sauce you want – gives you the end result of juicy, flavor-packed, super filling meatballs (instead of cooking turkey in a skillet where it usually comes out dry and bland).
As you can see from many of my other posts, I’ve made quite a variety of meatball recipes:
- Kung Pao Turkey Meatballs
- Chipotle Chicken Meatballs with Sweet Corn Polenta
- Turkey Meatballs (classic Italian)
- Thai Turkey Meatballs
Haha… I guess I really do like meatballs when you look at it like that! 🙂
But honestly, the key to my success when it comes to my fitness and health goals is having meals that make a lot and are relatively easy – and of course, healthy!
It’s great to have variety so that you don’t get bored and stray from your goals. Believe me, I’ve been there… making the same salad everyday for months and then having a day were you say, “Screw this I’m getting takeout.”
Don’t let yourself get to that point! The way to prevent that is to have a handful of go-to recipes that are healthy and delicious, and when you get sick of those switch the recipes up to a handful of others you really enjoy and have those for awhile.
For example: right now I’m on a taco salad kick for lunches (picture below)… It’s easy and fits my macros, but I’m sure at some point I’ll get sick of it and need some variety.
Thats when recipes that you can make in batches work so nicely; you make them at the beginning of the week and have lunches ready all week without having to think about it! If you get tired of a particular recipe by the end of the week, make something new for next week’s lunches or dinners!
Don’t put yourself in the rut of “I have to end salad everyday” or “I have to eat turkey burgers everyday”. This is supposed to be a lifestyle change so enjoy it!
If you look at it like a diet, that’s how it will feel – and you’ll always be thinking about the next “cheat meal” instead of looking forward to that night’s meal (which can be super enjoyable and no guilt!).
Case in point: making enjoyable and wholesome meals will lead to success in reaching your goals.
These healthy turkey taco meatballs are great for the entire family, perfect for dinner wrapped in a tortilla, with some shredded cheese or for next days lunch on a bed of shredded lettuce.
1 lb. lean ground turkey
1 packet taco seasoning, low sodium
1 egg, beaten
1 tbsp. olive oil
1/2 cup Panko breadcrumbs
1 large jar of salsa (any kind will work)
- In a large bowl combine turkey, taco seasoning, egg and Panko breadcrumbs, then mix using your hands (just don’t overwork it or the meat will get tough).
- Line a baking sheet with foil and spray with cooking spray.
- To make the meatballs take a small amount and roll into a ball. I try to make them around golfball size (at least try to keep them all about the same size). Place them on a baking sheet and set aside.
- In a large skillet, add remaining 1 tbsp. olive oil and heat on medium-high.
- Once pan is heated place about 6 meatballs (depending on how large the skillet is) and sear 1-2 minutes on each side. Place back on baking sheet or plate when done, repeating until all meatballs are seared.
- Turn on crockpot and set to LOW for 6-7 hours, spray with cooking spray and pour half the salsa in the bottom. Place meatballs into the sauce (you may have to layer some on-top of each other). Pour remaining salsa over the meatballs and cover and let cook the entire time (total of 6-7 hours).
Servings: 4 (approx.)
Serving Size: 5 meatballs (approx.)
Fat: 15 g
Carbohydrates: 25 g
Fiber: 5 g
Sugar: 10 g
Protein: 30 g
The Testosterone Chef is a cookbook all about eating in a way that supports your hormones. With 90+ recipes for both men and women, there's something for everyone in here...
Click here to check it out!