This enchilada bake was one of my first recipes when I started brainstorming ideas for my first cookbook from Kinobody, KinoChef…. and probably one of my favorites! 🙂
This enchilada bake has everything you love from the traditional enchilada with a little bit of a twist, the way this was prepared is very similar to a lasagna so you have layers of meat, sauce, cheese and tortillas!
A little bit of everything is each bite! 🙂
In short, it’s one of the best enchilada bakes you’ll ever make (if I do say so myself lol). Compliment it with a side of cilantro lime rice and you’re looking at a delicious and healthy dinner.
2 lb. lean ground turkey (can also sub shredded chicken)
2 packets taco seasoning
18 corn tortillas
1 tsp. olive oil
1/2 red onion chopped
1 jalapeños, chopped (seeded if you don’t want it too hot)
3 minced garlic cloves
2 tsp. cumin
2 tbsp. plus 2 tsp. chili powder
1 tbsp. sugar or 1 packet of stevia
1 – 28oz. can crushed tomatoes
1 – 15 oz can of no salt added corn
1 cup nonfat refried beans (heated)
1 cup shredded Mexican cheese
salt and pepper
chopped green onions
- Preheat the oven to 375.
- In a large skillet on medium high heat, spray with cooking spray.
- Add all of the ground turkey to the pan, start to break up with a spatula until all ground and fully cooked.
- Add your two packets of taco seasoning, following the directions on the package. Finish cooking, remove from heat and set aside.
- For the enchilada sauce: First you will heat the oil in a medium sauce pan on medium-high heat, add onions and jalapeno, reduce to medium heat and cook for about 5-8 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the next 4 ingredients (garlic, chili powder, cumin and sugar/stevia) and stir together.
- Finally add your can of crushed tomatoes, stir until fully incorporated, let simmer for 10 minutes.
- Salt and pepper to taste and set aside.
- Now to assemble the bake you need a 13×9 pan and spray with cooking spray. You will start to layer if just like lasagna.
- Start by laying 6 corn tortillas on the bottom of the pan(they will overlap a bit).
- Spread half of the refried beans on the top of the tortillas, use about half of the can of corn evenly spread out and half of the taco seasoned cooked ground turkey with a bit of sauce (make sure you save some for the top layer).
- Then repeat one more time.
- Once you have two layers top the last layer with 6 more tortillas and top with the remaining sauce and place uncovered in the oven for 10 min.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle with cheese and cover with foil for 20 minutes.
- TIP: If you like the cheese a little more browned, place back into the oven for about 5 minutes on broil. (make sure to keep your eye on it so it doesn’t burn)
- When done take out of oven and sprinkle with chopped cilantro, green onions, and tomatoes and enjoy.
Serving Size: 1/8 of a 13×9 pan
Fat: 14 g
Carbohydrates: 36 g
Fiber: 7 g
Sugar: 3 g
Sodium: 480 mg (w/o added salt)
Protein: 30 g
The Testosterone Chef is a cookbook all about eating in a way that supports your hormones. With 90+ recipes for both men and women, there's something for everyone in here...
Click here to check it out!