Easy Burrito Bowl Casserole
Who doesn’t love a Chipotle burrito bowl??
If you don’t I’m not sure if we can be friends…haha just kidding, but really – Chipotle is one of the only restaurants out there that is quick but still has the quality that you want in your foods!
I honestly feel like everytime we go there (which happens to be at least once a week!) it’s always a treat; I feel full and satisfied and that I made a great healthy choice. With the convenience of their nutrition calculator I can add everything I want (including guac) or take away things and tailor my burrito bowl to my caloric needs.
This easy burrito bowl casserole is everything you love into one pan… without having to run out every week for Chipotle. Add this beauty into your weekly meals to get that “takeout” fix you crave.
This recipe is so interchangeable to with it’s ingredients, just like chipotle you can craft together your own creation based off of what you like… in this recipe we have a layer of cilantro lime rice on the bottom, black beans, ground turkey (with sautéed onions and jalapeños seasoned with taco seasoning), homemade corn salsa, shredded cheese and green onion (or cilantro).
There are many other things you could change (I just used what I had on hand!) like using a great marinaded grilled chicken, or pinto beans instead of black beans and maybe top it off with a flavorful green chili salsa.
Either way make it your own and you won’t be disappointed!
1 lb. lean ground turkey
1/2 red onion, diced
1 jalapeno, diced and seeded (I kept some seeds since I like it spicy!)
1 packet taco seasoning or homemade taco seasoning (I used Old El Paso low sodium)
1 cup low-sodium black beans
1 packet cilantro lime rice or homemade (I used Targets brand)
3/4 cup Mexican shredded cheese
2-3 green onions, chopped
Corn salsa (I used about a quarter to half of this recipe)
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- To make the rice follow directions on packet and set aside once done cooking.
- In a large skillet turn heat to medium, spray with cooking spray.
- Add onion and jalapeño and sauté for a few minutes and then add the ground turkey, start to break up with spatula.
- Once the meat is fully cooked add packet or homemade taco seasoning and cook according to directions, set aside once done.
- In a 13×9 pan spray with cooking spray and start to layer, add 1/2 the amount of the rice (about 2 cups prepared) to the bottom of the pan and spread evenly.
- Next add the black beans evenly over the rice.
- Scoop the ground turkey over the beans, evenly.
- Then spread desired amount of corn salsa evenly over the top.
- Sprinkle with cheese, cover with foil and back for about 20-25 minutes. Remove foil and cook for an additional 10-15 minutes until cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Sprinkle with fresh green onions or cilantro, cut into 6 squares and serve in a bowl.
- Add extra toppings or salsas to each bowl.
Servings: 6 (approx.)
Serving Size: 1 square, 1/6 of the pan (approx.)
Fat: 11 g
Carbohydrates: 25 g
Fiber: 3 g
Sugar: 2 g
Protein: 22 g