Cookies and Cream Cupcakes
Just this past weekend my husband and I (with the help of one other couple) threw a surprise engagement party for our friends…
The theme of the party was “wine and cheese” – who doesn’t love that? – and it couldn’t have went better! They were both completely blown away and very appreciative of everything.
Days before, my friend Abbey and I were planning this down to every last detail…
- The wine
- Types of cheeses (we had some aged cheddar, gouda, goat cheese and brie)
- Appetizers (artichoke dip, and corn and green chile dip – recipes coming soon!)
- Cupcakes (since it was also the groom’s birthday)
- …and even a S’MORES BAR!!
Abbey came up with the idea to do this smores bar and it was the coolest thing ever…
She got all kinds of goodies (no, these weren’t just your typical s’mores): different flavored marshmallows, chocolate grahams, Hershey cookies and cream bars… the list went on.
Pretty much, this was a dream s’mores bar! So easy and delicious, and this small setup really made the party so much more fun. This is a great idea for ANY party, in fact. Everyone will love this 🙂
But anyway… On to the cupcakes!
Since it was also the birthday of the soon-to-be groom, I decided to make some cupcakes for the party as well.
This cupcake recipe is one of my favorites… These cookies and cream cupcakes are laced with Oreos, from the bottom to the frosting. In all, a guaranteed crowdpleaser.
This was definitely a cheat day when it comes to the food, so if you’re thinking, “Yum, healthy cupcakes!” – you would be wrong, haha… Just a warning, since I don’t want to fool you.
Since this party, I’ve been hitting it harder at the gym and adding in some more cardio, but you know what… I’m happy that I was able to enjoy the party, let loose a bit and eat some delicious snacks and treats!
For the cupcakes:
1 box chocolate cake mix (you’ll need whatever the mix calls for as well)
1 container Oreo cookies
24 cupcake liners
For the frosting:
2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
5 cups powdered sugar
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/3 cup Oreo crumbs (using leftover cookies from cupcakes), pulsed in food processor
1/4 cup milk *
* This is optional, if you need to thin out the frosting.
- Preheat oven to what is on the cake mix box. (This will vary depending on the cake mix you buy.)
- Make the cake mix according the instructions on the box.
- Place liners in the cupcake pan. Split Oreos in half and place cream side up in the bottom of the liners (set aside the sides without cream and save for the crumbs sprinkled on the frosting).
- Take the remaining oreos (except for the ones for the frosting), chop up into chunks and add the batter. Stir until combined.
- Pour batter about 2/3 full into each liner.
- Place into the oven and cook according to the box, do not over bake you want them to be moist and delicious.
- While the cupcakes are baking you can start the frosting. Using a hand mixer, start to cream the softened butter until fluffy.
- Slowly add the powdered sugar, 1 cup at a time, until combined. Add vanilla and milk and mix until fully incorporated.
- Fold in oreo crumbs (can add more if desired). Set aside.
- When the cupcakes are done, transfer to a wire rack to completely cool.
- To frost the cupcakes you can spread the frosting on, or like I did – put the frosting in a ziplock bag, cut off the corner (like a pastry bag) and pipe the frosting on top of the cupcake in a swirl pattern.
- Sprinkle with more oreo crumbs for garnish, if you like!
The Testosterone Chef is a cookbook all about eating in a way that supports your hormones. With 90+ recipes for both men and women, there's something for everyone in here...
Click here to check it out!