Coconut Curry Chicken Meatballs
A healthier recipe is definitely in need after the last few posts and the fun weekend we just had… Sometimes it’s good to take a break and enjoy yourself, but it’s just as important to get right back on track.
These coconut curry chicken meatballs are just what you need! They meatballs are easy, healthy and packed with protein to keep you feeling full and satisfied.
This recipe is full of flavor from the creaminess of the coconut milk to the richness of the peanut butter in the sauce – and of course some red chili flakes for that touch of heat.
I try to make recipes that are easy for all skill levels out there… Don’t be discouraged by the number of ingredients in a particular recipe because most of the time (if you cook often) you will already have them in your pantry.
In this recipe, the only things I didn’t have on hand that wasn’t the norm for us to have was the fish sauce and red curry paste.
But I’m telling you once you make these – they will quickly become a favorite and those ingredients will be a pantry staple!
If you’re still a little hesitant I would start with a few classic takes on meatballs with my Italian Meatballs and the Chipotle Chicken Meatballs… once you try those you might be feeling a bit more adventurous with these flavors!
Coconut Curry Chicken Meatball Ingredients:
For the Meatballs:
1 lb. lean ground chicken (can sub with ground turkey as well)
2-3 tbsp. chives, chopped
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
1/2 cup gluten-free panko breadcrumbs (can sub regular)
1 tbsp. fish sauce (optional)
1 tbsp. red curry paste
1 1/2 tsp. dried minced onion
1 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1 egg, beaten
2 tsp. avocado oil
For the Coconut Curry Sauce:
1 14.5 oz. can light coconut milk
2 tbsp. peanut butter
1 tbsp. red curry paste
1 tbsp. brown sugar
2 tsp. red pepper flakes (less if you don’t like it hot)
salt and pepper to taste
QUICK TIP: I made my meatballs in the crockpot (I’m a little obsessed with the crockpot lately, haha)… But you can make the meatballs in the oven (375° for 30 minutes until done), as well and make the sauce on the stove (combine all sauce ingredients, heat and toss cooked meatballs in it). Garnish with cilantro and serve!
- To make the meatballs combine chicken, chives, cilantro, panko breadcrumbs, fish sauce, red curry paste, dried onion, garlic powder, salt, pepper, and egg in a large bowl.
- Using your hands, mix all the ingredients throughout the meat to fully combine (try not to over mix).
- Form the meatballs into golf ball size and place onto a plate or baking sheet and repeat until you’ve used all the meat (about 20-22 meatballs).
- In a large skillet, heat 2 tsp of avocado oil on medium heat. Once pan is hot, place meatballs onto the skillet and sear for about 1-2 minutes on each side (this will help keep them from falling apart in the crockpot).
- You may need to repeat step 4 if your pan isn’t big enough to sear all of the meatballs (I usually split it up into 2 batches).
- Once they are all seared, place in the crockpot (sprayed with cooking spray).
- In a bowl whisk together coconut milk, red curry paste, peanut butter, red pepper flakes, brown sugar and salt and pepper.
- Pour sauce over the meatballs and set the crockpot to LOW for 6-7 hours (or HIGH for 4 hours).
- Serve meatballs over rice or by themselves: pour sauce over the top and sprinkle with more cilantro.
Servings: 22 approx.
Serving Size: 1 meatball
Fat: 4 g
Carbohydrates: 3 g
Sugar: 1 g
Fiber: > 1g
Protein: 5 g
The Testosterone Chef is a cookbook all about eating in a way that supports your hormones. With 90+ recipes for both men and women, there's something for everyone in here...
Click here to check it out!