Cinnamon Streusel Muffins
It’s finally one of my favorite times of year… Fall!!
Not only is it pumpkin spice time but its everything fall/autumn related….from flavors of cinnamon, nutmeg, maple, clove, pretty much all of those spices that make us feel all warm and fuzzy.
These cinnamon streusel muffins are not only delicious and one big bite of fall they are healthier… made with mashed bananas, greek yogurt and even some gluten free flour to make these more low calorie and leaving your belly feeling happy.
For under 200 calories you can enjoy the sweet treats of the season with out the guilt!
Cinnamon Streusel Muffins Ingredients:
3 overripe mashed bananas
1/3 cup no sugar added apple butter
1/4 cup plus 2 tbsp. brown sugar
1/2 cup non-fat plain greek yogurt
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 egg, beaten
1 cup all purpose gluten free flour
2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1-1/4 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
Cinnamon Streusel Topping:
5 tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
1/2 cup gluten free all purpose flour
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 pinch of kosher salt
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- If your bananas are not overripe preheat your oven to 300° place on a foil lined baking sheet and cook for 30 minutes, flipping half way through. Once those are done let cool completely.
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Add bananas to a mixing bowl, add brown sugar and apple butter. Using a stand mixer or hand mixer, mix until fully combined.
- Add in greek yogurt and mix.
- Add in egg and vanilla and beat until all ingredients are completely incorporated. Set aside.
- For the dry mix add 1 cup gluten free flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Whisk until combined.
- Start to slowly add the dry mix to the wet mix, until fully combined.
- Add the muffin liners to the muffin pan.
- Using a 1/4 cup measuring cup, scoop batter into each liner. (Makes 12 muffins measuring the batter 1/4 cup per muffin.)
- Before you place them in the oven you will make the cinnamon streusel.
- In a small bowl whisk together 1/2 cup flour, 1/4 cup brown sugar, a pinch of kosher salt, and 1 tsp ground cinnamon.
- Slowly pour in melted butter (5 tbsp.) and stir into the flour mixture which will end up looking like big crumbs.
- Take the streusel and sprinkle evenly on-top of each muffin.
- Place into the oven for 18-20 minutes (NOTE: this is at a higher altitude so yours might not take as long, just keep an eye on them) or until a toothpick inserted into the muffin comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let cool. Serve.
Serving Size: 1 muffin
Fat: 5 g
Carbohydrates: 30 g
Sugar: 14 g
Fiber: 2 g
Sodium: 57 mg (w/o added salt)
Protein: 3 g