Chocolate Chip Pound Cake
Everyone needs some sweets now and again… How does a buttery pound cake with drops of chocolate inside sound?
Ummm… Where do I sign up?
This chocolate chip pound cake is a great hit to bring to a party or just to treat yourself at the end of a long week. I don’t feel that you need to cut out everything that you enjoy in life; it just needs to be in small doses…
I tried to lighten this one up a bit, but what makes pound cake so delicious is that it’s super buttery, rich and flavorful. I got this down to about 200 calories a slice – without compromising too much of that flavor we love.
My husband and I set rewards for ourselves at the end of the week to help each other stay on track with fitness and nutrition.
Sometimes they are little and some are bigger…
If we ate good all week and have been working out, then we may get fro-yo, chips and guacamole, or maybe go out for a nice dinner (just one reward a week!).
I love to bake so making something like this pound cake is a treat and even a bigger one if I can have a piece or two 🙂
Tip: Warm a slice up in the microwave and top with some redi-whip or vanilla fro-yo and it makes a pretty low-calorie (yet delicious) treat.
1 1/4 cup all purpose flour
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup sugar
1 Tbsp. vanilla
1/2 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 325°.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl using a hand mixer, beat butter and sugar until fluffy (about 3-4 minutes).
- Start to slowly add eggs and vanilla into the butter mixture for 2-3 minutes.
- Gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture until full combined.
- Add chocolate chips and fold in.
- Pour into a greased 9-inch loaf pan and spread evenly.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until toothpick/knife comes out clean. Let cake cool for 20 minutes and serve.
Servings: 12 slices
Serving Size: 1 slice
Fat: 11 g
Carbohydrates: 22 g
Sodium: 20 mg (without salt)
Fiber: 1 g
Sugar: 13 g
Protein: 3 g
Adapted From: TABLE for SEVEN