Chicken Queso Enchiladas
If you haven’t noticed by now I have a deep love for Mexican food… and enchiladas are pretty much at the top of the list!
I mean I could probably eat Mexican food every day of my life and not get board – and there are many weeks that we do just that.
Now queso really isn’t the best option when you’re trying to lose weight and make good choices – but when made with some healthier ingredients you can have a very similar taste that will make you question if this is possibly good for you??
My Chicken Queso Enchiladas are absolutely to die for with all the delicious flavors from a traditional queso – jalapeño peppers, ancho chili, cumin, garlic and of course the combination of provolone and white american cheese.
And to think that is all just in the sauce… you have tender juicy shredded chicken wrapped up in there as well so it ends up being a super flavor packed meal that will curb that craving as well as keeping you full and on track with your fitness goals!
Sounds like a win win to me! 🙂
Chicken Queso Enchiladas Ingredients:
20 oz. boneless skinless chicken breast, trimmed
salt and pepper
2 tbsp. unsalted butter
2 tbsp. cornstarch
2 cups 2 % milk
2 oz. shredded provolone
2 oz. shredded white american cheese
1/2 cup pickled jalapeños, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 – 1/4 tsp. ancho chili powder
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. red pepper flake
1/2 tsp. cumin
1/4 tsp. pepper
8 medium sized flour tortiallas
For the Chicken:
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- To prep the chicken trim the fat, season all sides with salt and pepper.
- Place onto a foil lined baking sheet (spray with cooking spray) and bake for about 20-25 minutes or until chicken is fully cooked.
For the Queso Sauce:
- In the meantime you can prep the queso sauce.
- In a medium-size saucepan heat butter on medium heat.
- When butter is fully melted, add cornstarch and whisk together until a paste-like consistency is formed.
- Slowly whisk in milk and bring heat up to medium-high and continue to whisk.
- Keep whisking until milk is at a simmer and starts to slightly thicken.
- Once you can tell its thickening a bit start to slowly whisk in the shredded american and provolone. Once all cheese is added and completely melted it should have a thicker cheese like consistency.
- Lower heat to medium, stir in 1/4 cup chopped pickled jalapeños, ancho chili powder, cumin, garlic, salt, red pepper, and pepper. Stir to fully combine.
- Continue to cook on low for a few minutes, whisking occasionally so it doesn’t burn. Remove from heat and set aside.
To Build the Chicken Queso Enchiladas:
- Once chicken is fully cooked, shred into pieces and place into a bowl.
- Add remaining 1/4 cup of chopped pickled jalapeños to the chicken as well as 1 cup of prepared queso sauce. Season with salt and pepper and stir to combine all ingredients.
- To build the enchiladas spray a 13×9 baking pan with cooking spray. Optionally warm your tortillas to make them easier to work with.
- Using a 1/4 cup measuring cup scoop out chicken filling and place in the the middle of the tortilla and roll up to close.
- Place enchilada seam side down in the pan.
- Repeat until you’ve used all the chicken filling, you should have about 8 enchiladas.
- Top the enchiladas with the remaining queso sauce, cover with foil and place into the oven for 35 minutes.
- Remove foil and cook for an additional 15-20 minutes until hot and bubbly.
- When fully cooked optionally top with more cheese, chopped tomatoes, fresh cilantro, green onions and pickled jalapeños.
Serving Size: 1 chicken queso enchilada
Fat: 10 g
Carbohydrates: 10 g
Fiber: 0 g
Sugar: 3 g
Sodium: 515 mg (w/o added salt)
Protein: 25 g