Healthy Chicken Caesar Pita
I try to do a lot of brainstorming to create new ideas for recipes that keep things interesting and exciting without adding all the processed, unhealthy ingredients into our foods.
I think its important to enjoy your life in ever aspect and something that we all thoroughly enjoy is food… Which is why most of my recipes are our favorite comfort foods turned into healthier options!
We shouldn’t have to sacrifice flavor for a healthier dish… why not have both?
And that brings me to THIS recipe… 🙂
This chicken caesar pita is absolutely delicious from the crunchy herbed breading on the chicken, romaine lettuce tossed in a homemade, creamy Greek yogurt caesar, with cheese and all wrapped up in a warmed pita… Almost sounds too good to be true.
This is such a wholesome and filling meal that you will make time and time again. Not only will it keep you on track, but you’ll feel like you’re having a cheat meal at the same time!
TIP: Make extra and use for lunches for the week… chicken caesar pitas for lunch and still be healthier? Yes, this is true. Also, swap the pita for a low calorie wrap or even no wrap and just have more lettuce and a bit salad 🙂
Healthy Chicken Caesar Pita Ingredients:
[ingredients title=”For the Chicken”]
- 1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breast, trimmed and pounded out to 1/2 inch thickness
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. parsley
- 1/2 tsp. oregano
- 1/2 tsp. basil
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tbsp. Worcestershire
[ingredients title=”For the Caesar Dressing”]
- 1 cup nonfat plain greek yogurt
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- 3 anchovies, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp. grated parmesan
- 1 – 1/2 tsp. Worcestershire
- 1 tsp. dijon
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. pepper
- 2-3 tbsp. water
[ingredients title=”Other Ingredients”]
- 4 pita pockets (100 calorie)
- romaine lettuce
- shredded mozzarella and parmesan cheese (for topping)
- salt and pepper
- cooking spray
[directions title=”For the Chicken”]
- Preheat the oven to 425°. Once chicken is trimmed and pounded out to 1/2 inch thickness, season both sides with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Set up an assembly line with three bowls. First bowl cornstarch. Second bowl mix together breadcrumbs, panko, garlic powder, salt, oregano, parsley, basil, and pepper. The third bowl beat together egg and Worcestershire. Last place a baking sheet lined with foil at the end of the assembly line.
- Start by taking one piece of chicken, dip in cornstarch, then egg mixture, and lastly the breadcrumbs, coating chicken well. Place chicken on baking sheet and repeat with remaining chicken.
- Spray tops of chicken with cooking spray and place into the oven for 22-25 minutes, flipping over halfway. While chicken is cooking you can prep the caesar dressing (see below).
- Once chicken is done cut into strips and place aside to build the pitas.
[directions title=”For the Caesar Dressing”]
- In a small bowl combine greek yogurt, lemon juice, anchovies, garlic, parmesan cheese, Worcestershire, dijon, olive oil, salt and pepper. Stir together until fully combined.
- Whisk in water in 1 tbsp. at time to thin out to desired consistency.
Serving Size: 4 oz. breaded chicken strips
Fat: 3 g
Carbohydrates: 23 g
Sugar: 2 g
Fiber: 2 g
Sodium: 378 mg
Protein: 30 g
Serving Size: 2 tbsp.
Fat: 2 g
Carbohydrates: 1 g
Sugar: 1 g
Fiber: 0 g
Sodium: 124 mg
Protein: 5 g
The Testosterone Chef is a cookbook all about eating in a way that supports your hormones. With 90+ recipes for both men and women, there's something for everyone in here...
Click here to check it out!