Chicken Bacon Ranch Pot Pie Casserole
With fall time approaching I thought I would start trying out some new heartier meals that are still healthy. I really enjoy taking flavor combinations that I love and make changes here and there to make a lighter version of a meal.
I feel like we should still enjoy the things we love from time to time (of course in moderation)… But if I can make some healthier versions of the foods we love, it makes the process of dieting so much more enjoyable!
With that being said just make sure to keep in to account your macros for the day (if you count macros). Some of these meals might be lower in calories, but could have a little more fat (which is giving you more flavor, of course!). This is why I try to work out most of the macros for you ahead of time so you know where you stand with each dish.
What I usually suggest is finding a few meals just like this chicken bacon ranch pot pie casserole and make them for your dinners. Keep your breakfast and lunch a little lighter; that way your macros should be on point by the end of the day!
Just a suggestion if you’re looking to stay on track and get great results with whatever program you might be on! 🙂
Now back to this delicious meal I have here… This chicken bacon ranch pot pie casserole really lives up to that name and is still a healthier meal! Hard to believe? See for yourself below 🙂
This is the ideal meal to transition into the fall; lots of protein-packed chicken cooked in a creamy ranch sauce, layered in a casserole dish with bacon bits, cheddar cheese and enclosed by a layer of buttery flaky crescents – all baked to a golden perfection!
Make it complete: Pair this casserole with some roasted brussels sprouts or a veggie of your choice and maybe a side of potato wedges, and you have a deliciously balanced meal.
Chicken Bacon Ranch Pot Pie Casserole:
- 20 oz. boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 packet hidden valley ranch dry mix
- 1-5.3 oz. nonfat plain greek yogurt
- 1-8 oz. reduced fat cream cheese
- 1/4 cup bacon bits
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tube reduced fat crescent rolls
- 1 egg, beaten
- cooking spray
- In a crockpot, coat with cooking spray, add chicken breast, ranch dry mix, Greek yogurt, and cream cheese. Cover crockpot and set to HIGH for 4 hours.
- Once the chicken is fully cooked, remove chicken and shred, then add back to crockpot and toss in cream cheese mixture.
- Remove chicken/cream cheese mixture from the crockpot and add to a 13×9 pan (coated with cooking spray), spread evenly. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375°. In the meantime remove your crescents from the packaging, take them and press them all into one piece, closing the pre-cut seams by pinch with your fingers.
- Add them all into one big piece, you can use rolling pin to help smooth out and make more even.
- In a chicken pan, sprinkle bacon and then cheddar cheese evenly over the top of the chicken.
- Lay the rolled out crescent dough over the casserole. Press edges up against the sides of the casserole dish, then using a fork press down the edges to secure them (see picture below for the design).
- Take your egg and break into a small dish, add a splash of water and beat together with a fork. Brush the top and sides of the crescent with the egg wash.
- Cut a few slits in the top of the dough (just like a pie), as you can see above. Place into the oven for 20-25 minutes, until golden in color. Sprinkle with fresh parsley.
Serving Size: 1 square (1/8 of the pan)
Fat: 12 g*
Carbohydrates: 16 g
Sugar: 5 g
Fiber: 0 g
Sodium: 538 mg
Protein: 23 g
* To lower the fat a little more, substitute bacon bits for turkey bacon bits, and a reduced-fat shredded cheddar.