One of my favorite guilty pleasures is a cheesy artichoke dip. Growing up, this was a staple at any family holiday or gathering… Lots of delicious artichokes tossed in cheese and mayo (doesn’t hurt, right?) and I’m sure many other not-so-healthy ingredients… And then of course paired with your favorite chip or crusty bread for dipping.
Now, we all have those things we love that shouldn’t ever be messed with, but in this case I tried to turn an “unhealthy” dip that I love into a healthier casserole dish… Adding seasoned chicken breast to make it overall more filling, lots of artichokes, tossed together in a light cheese sauce and even some pieces of bread baked up right on top!
Sounds too good to be true… it’s not! This chicken artichoke alfredo casserole has every bit of the richness you love from the classic artichoke dip, but with just a few tweaks it’s transformed into a wholesome and filing meal!
With each serving under 250 calories, this is a dish you won’t feel guilty about – heck, you can even go back for seconds 🙂
Chicken Artichoke Alfredo Casserole Ingredients:
- 1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breast, cooked and cubed to 1/2 inch pieces
- 2-14 oz. cans artichoke hearts, chopped
- 1-15 oz. jar Classico four cheese alfredo sauce
- salt and pepper
- 1 tube Pilsbury pizza crust (only use half of the dough), cut into 32 squares
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- chopped parsley, for topping
- cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 400°. Cook chicken to your liking, (I pounded mine out to 1/2 inch thickness, season with salt and pepper and cook for 15-20 minutes at 425°).
- Once chicken is cooked chop into 1/2 inch chunks. Place in a large bowl. Chop the artichokes and add to the bowl with the chicken.
- Unroll pizza dough from the tube, cut in half and discard the other half (or use for another recipe). The remaining half cut into 32 squares (see picture below).
- Roll each square into a ball and place into the bowl with the chicken and artichokes. Pour cheese sauce over ingredients and lightly toss to coat everything evenly.
- Spray a 13×9 baking pan with cooking spray, spoon chicken mixture into the casserole and spread evenly. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese and bake for 30-35 minutes until dough is puffed up and cooked and cheese it lightly browned.
- Sprinkle with fresh chopped parsley, cut into 8 squares and serve.
Serving Size: 1/8 of a 13×9 pan
Fat: 5 g
Carbohydrates: 21 g
Sugar: 2 g
Fiber: 2 g
Sodium: 796 mg
Protein: 20 g