Blackened Shrimp Tacos with Mango Salsa and Cilantro Crema
Sometimes in the midst of winter I get a taste for something summery, light and flavorful… Maybe even something grilled! When I used to live in Illinois, just that taste of summer would help me get through the coldest months!
Now that I live in Florida it’s definitely different from what I have grown up with, but we still go through changes in temperature. Sure, it may not be as extreme – but from living here for over a year your, body really gets used to it.
I always said to myself, “I won’t be one of those people that thinks that 50° is cold”… Well here I am and I have become that person, lol. But when it goes from 75° in the afternoon to 50° at night, that’s a 20° jump, so it’s only normal to be cold after that.
Anyways one of my favorite dishes that I have had since moving down here is blackened shrimp tacos… Seriously amazing!
You can make this recipe with other fish too like cod or tilapia; you can even use chicken if you aren’t a fish person. Either way, this recipe is killer! It’s the perfect amount of heat with some fresh flavors from the mango salsa!
Give these blackened shrimp tacos a try! I’m telling you they will become a weekly meal in your house. All you’ll need is an ice cold Corona or margarita and you might as well be on vacation, haha! 🙂
There are a lot of flavors going on from the rub on the shrimp to the sweetness of the mango, tied together with a fresh and spicy cilantro sauce. Eating foods like this, you won’t even realize that you’re eating healthy… You will love your meals and reach your goals in such an enjoyable way!
This new year, you may have many goals from weight loss to eating healthier – maybe it’s trying new things! Whether that is taking a dance class, picking up golf as a hobby, or trying new foods… Open yourself up to new things and experiences because you never know what can come from it!
For the Shrimp Tacos:
1.5 lbs. shrimp, deveined and tails off
3 tbsp. paprika
1 tsp. cayenne
1 tsp. thyme
1/2 tsp. oregano
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. onion powder
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. ground black pepper
1 tbsp. olive oil
For the Mango Salsa:
1 large mango, peeled and diced
1/4 cup white or red onion, diced
1 jalapeno, diced and seeded (I used half the seeds since we like it spicy)
1/2 juice of lime and zest
1 garlic clove, minced
2-3 tbsp. cilantro, finely chopped
salt and pepper to taste
For the Cilantro Lime Crema:
1 cup non-fat plain Greek yogurt
juice of 1/2 a lime
1 cup loosely-packed cilantro (stems off)
1 jalapeno, diced and seeded (can leave seeds in for my heat)
2 garlic cloves, minced
salt and pepper to taste
To make the Mango Salsa:
- Combine all ingredients into a medium bowl and stir until fully mixed.
- Place in the fridge until ready to serve.
To make the Cilantro Lime Crema:
- Combine all the ingredients in a food processor and pulse until fully mixed.
- Pour into a bowl and refrigerate until ready to serve.
To prep and cook the shrimp:
- I actually used cooked shrimp, you can use uncooked just have to adjust cooking time. If you need to devein and take the tails off of the shrimp, rinse and pat dry with paper towel.
- In a large bowl add shrimp, paprika, cayenne, thyme, oregano, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper. Toss to combine and fully coat each shrimp. Note: before cooking the shrimp make the mango salsa and cilantro lime crema beforehand (see directions above).
- When you’re ready to cook the shrimp, add oil to a large skillet and heat on medium-high. When skillet is hot add spice-coated shrimp and spread evenly in the pan.
- Cook for a few minutes on each side (will have to cook a little longer if they are uncooked shrimp, cook until pink) to get a nice sear on them. Don’t overcook them or they’ll be chewy.
- Once they are nice and blackened, remove from pan and start to build your tacos using the salsa and crema from above.
Adapted from: Club Narwhal Blog