Mexican food is pretty much my favorite thing ever… as I kid I would love to order the chimichanga and oh man where those things good!!
Now even though the real thing is absolutely amazing and really shouldn’t be messed with, I thought I would try a crack at lightening them up a bit so I could enjoy them and get my fix more often.
These baked chimichangas are full of that flavor that is very reminiscence of the classic dish… a very easy recipe that has many layers of flavors from the classic guacamole, rich refried black beans, smoked jalapeño cream spread, and chicken – all wrapped up in a crispy tortilla! ALL of this amazingness for 370 calories!
One of my favorite meals turned into a lower calorie dish that I can enjoy each week without the guilt!
After all… [Tweet “There’s no need to cut things that you love out of your diet… Just make them in a healthier way.”]
That, or you can even have the “real deal” once in a while – you just have to work it into you day or week!
Baked Chimichangas Ingredients:
2 tsp. coconut oil
1lb. lean ground turkey
1/2 yellow onion, diced
1 jalapeño, diced and seeded (I left in seeds for extra spice)
1 packet taco seasoning (I used reduced sodium)
1/2 cup Alouette smoky jalapeño soft spreadable cheese (Philadelphia brand has one as well)
1/2 cup shredded Mexican cheese
1/2 cup fat free refried beans ( I used Market Pantry refried black beans with lime)
1/2 cup guacamole
8 flour tortillas
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line a baking sheet with foil and spray with cooking spray.
- In a large skillet heat oil on medium heat.
- Add diced onion and jalapeño and cook down for 5 minutes.
- Add ground turkey to the skillet and start to break apart while cooking. Once meat is cooked and broken apart, add taco packet and follow the directions on the packet. When meat is done turn off heat and set aside.
- To build the chimichangas, warm tortillas so they are easier to work with. Spread 1 tbsp. jalapeño cheese on the middle of the tortilla, then 1 tbsp. of refried beans, 1 tbsp. guacamole, 2 ounces of cooked turkey; then fold up the bottom over the meat, fold in the the two sides that are opposite of that, then flip the whole thing over to close. Seam side should be down. Use toothpicks on the seam side to help keep closed.
- Place onto the baking sheet seam side down. Repeat until you have 8 chimichangas.
- Spray tops of chimichangas with cooking spray and place into the oven for 15 minutes and flip. Cook for another 10 minutes. Take out of the oven sprinkle each one with 1 tbsp. of shredded Mexican cheese and place back into the oven for 3 minutes, until lightly browned and crispy.
- Serve immediately.
Serving Size: 1 chimichanga *
Fat: 17 g
Carbohydrates: 32 g
Sugar: 1 g
Fiber: 3 g
Protein: 18 g
* 1 tortilla with 2 oz. cooked turkey, 1 tbsp. jalapeño spread, 1 tbsp. beans, 1 tbsp. guacamole and 1 tbsp. shredded cheese on top.