I love to cook and experiment with different ingredients to make healthy, great-tasting meals… Not to mention, I have a husband is always willing to taste test everything!
But the biggest struggle I seem to find when trying to eat healthy is finding great recipes that don’t make you feel like you’re “dieting”.
My goal is to never ever feel like I’m dieting, but rather make meals that are easy and tasty while being healthy.
Over the years I’ve tried so many programs with strict diets and in the long run they’re just not realistic or practical. What I’ve found is that when you deprive yourself of foods you love, then you DO have that “cheat day” – you completely overdo it.
So why not make versions of those same meals you crave, but in a way that’s healthy, wholesome and delicious?
Sounds perfect to me!
Now, most people would look at the picture of the baked chicken caesar wrap above and think there’s no way it’s healthy for you, but this really is a delicious protein-packed meal.
Let’s get to it…
For the chicken:
2 lbs. boneless skinless chicken tenders
1 cup old fashioned oats
1 egg, beaten
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. onion powder
1 tsp. paprika
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
For the wrap:
light caesar dressing
low calorie wheat wrap (I used the Fit & Active one from Aldi)
shredded parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 425°
- To make the the breading, put oatmeal and spices into a food processor and pulse until fine. Pour into a bowl and set aside.
- In another bowl beat egg and set aside.
- Now you will start to bread the chicken, first dip the chicken into the egg and then toss in the oatmeal (press chicken into the breading to fully coat). Place on a lined baking sheet and repeat until all chicken is coated.
- Place in the oven for 18-20 minutes (cooking times may vary depending on thickness of chicken).
- Once the chicken is done take the tenders and cut them into strips.
- Now the key to keeping this wrap healthy is to make sure you don’t go over the serving size for the toppings. To make one pita, take a little romaine and toss in 1-2 tbsp. of caesar dressing and place onto wrap. Then take the chicken strips (about 2 tenders) and place on top. Top with 1/8 cup of shredded parmesan cheese and 1 more tbsp. of caesar dressing and wrap up.
Nutritional Information: Chicken Only
Serving Size: approx. 2 tenders (cut into strips)
Servings: approx. 8
Fat: 2 g
Carbs: 7 g
Fiber: 1 g
Sodium: 133 mg (without salt added)
Sugars: 0 g
Protein: 27 g
Nutritional Information: Full Wrap *
Fat: 11 g
Carbs: 28 g
Fiber: 10 g
Sodium: 861 mg
Sugar: 1 g
Protein: 46 g
* This was the nutritional information for my wrap with toppings. I used:
- 1 serving of chicken tenders
- 1/8 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1 Fit & Active Whole Wheat wrap
- 2 tbsp. lite caesar dressing
- romaine lettuce