Baked Boneless Buffalo Wings: A Healthy Take On The Bar Food Favorite
I don’t know about you, but after a long week nothing sounds better than an ice cold drink and some bar food!
I know, I know… It’s not the healthiest thing – which is why I came up with this boneless wings recipe!
There are 2 thing that make boneless wings not the healthiest choice… one being most of the time they are deep fried and two they’re usually smothered in high-calorie sugary sauces.
I started this blog for that very reason! I don’t think you should give up the foods that you love and look forward to… its just switching your perspective and also be willing to take the time to educate yourself on healthier options and start to cook for yourself more!
The minute you do this I’m telling you that you’re mindset will totally change on the whole “diet” thing… you will start to really look forward to your meals, you’ll probably even begin to enjoy cooking and more importantly you’re going to feel SO GOOD!!!
So the first thing I changed was to make the breading a little healthier but still yummy… enter the oatmeal breading that has quickly become my favorite way to bread chicken!
Next would be get rid of those super sugary – calorie dense sauces and finding something clean, well- made and of course absolutely delicious!!
There are many options you can find at your local grocery but my favorite are the sauces/marinades from Noble Made The New Primal… these are an absolute game changer and really compliment the wings.
I’m telling you… you won’t even miss the real deal!
The only thing that these wings are missing is a creamy ranch dipping sauce to balance it all out.
…Oh wait, there is one… at the bottom of the page! (a healthy version, of course.)
Baked Boneless Wings Ingredients:
2 lb boneless skinless chicken breast tenders (trimmed and cut into 2-3 inch chunks)
2 egg, beaten
2 cup uncooked oatmeal
2 tsp. garlic powder
2 tsp. onion powder
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
1/2 cup New Primal Medium Buffalo Sauce (or other wing sauce of your choice)
- Preheat oven to 425.
- Line a baking sheet with non-stick foil, spray with cooking spray.
- Trim the fat off the chicken and cut into 2-3 inch cubes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Combine oats with garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper in food processor. Pulse for 30 seconds and pour into a shallow baking dish.
- In another shallow dish whisk together eggs.
- Take chicken pieces and dip in egg, then into oatmeal, making sure to completely coat each piece, place onto baking sheet. Repeat until all chicken is coated.
- Spray top of the chicken with cooking spray and place into the oven.
- Cook for 18-20 min, (flipping halfway through) until chicken is fully cooked.
- After chicken is cooked, place into a large metal bowl, then pour 1/2 cup over the top (make sure you measure it out) and toss chicken until they are completely coated. (can split this in half or thirds if you want to do different sauces.)
Greek Yogurt Ranch Dipping Sauce Ingredients
1 cup nonfat plain greek yogurt
1 tbsp. hidden valley ranch dry seasoning
2 tbsp. 2% milk
- Combine all ingredients in small bowl and set in fridge until ready to serve.
For the Baked Boneless Buffalo Wings: *
Serving Size: 4 0z. cooked breaded chicken
Fat: 3 g
Carbohydrates: 14 g
Sodium: 143 mg (w/o added salt)
Protein: 29 g
* this nutritional information doesn’t include the wing sauce, since all sauces vary you’ll have to add that separately.
For the Dipping Sauce:
Serving Size: 4 tablespoons
Fat: 1.5 g
Carbohydrates: 3 g
Sodium: 53 mg
Protein: 6 g