Bourbon BBQ Bacon Chicken Kabobs
There is quite nothing like some great BBQ to kick off the summer, and with the holiday weekend approaching you’ll need some great food to go along with the festivities. These Bourbon BBQ Bacon Chicken Kabobs are just the thing you want to be serving this summer…
They have a homemade bourbon BBQ sauce that is just to die for, paired with some smoky bacon and tender chicken to round it all out!
(Note: even adding some veggies like onions and pepper to really bulk these up is a great idea!)
I know what you’re thinking… “Make my own sauce? I don’t have the time for that!” And by all means, I totally get it; bottled barbecue sauce will do the trick most of the time, but the effort (which might I add is very little) that goes into the sauce is worth the pay out.
So many different flavors that just pair so well together – this will for sure be a repeat meal for the summer months ahead!
One of the things I love about making kabobs is the prep is usually in the day before: cut everything up, make the sauce, build the kabobs and let them marinade overnight, and you’re golden! Then all that’s left to do is throw together a few easy sides (as I’m sure your guests will bring some as well), fire up the grill and get those skewers cooking!
Just grab a drink and enjoy yourself. No need to overthink it… but with a recipe like this all your guests will be thinking you spent hours prepping 🙂
Bourbon BBQ Bacon Chicken Kabobs Ingredients:
[ingredients title=”For the Chicken”]
- 2- lbs. boneless skinless chicken breast, trimmed and cut into 2 inch chunks
- 8 slices of bacon, cut into 2 inch pieces (1 strip of bacon per skewer)
- 8 wooden skewers
- salt and pepper
[ingredients title=”For the Bourbon BBQ Sauce”]
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 cups ketchup
- 1 cup water
- 4 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 6 tbsp Worcestershire
- 1/2 cup bourbon
- 2 tsp garlic, minced
- 1 tsp black pepper
- You will have to make the sauce first since you need that to completely cool before marinating the kabobs in it.
- In a medium size sauce pan add all sauce ingredients, stir to fully combine and set heat to medium. Once the sauce is simmering set heat to low and let cook down for about 15 minutes (you want the sauce to reduce and become thicker).
- Once the sauce is cooked down, pour into a blender and pulse until pureed to a smooth consistency. Place sauce into a bowl and let cool at room temp, then place into the fridge to completely cool down (this is great to do the night before if you have the time).
- When you’re ready to marinate the chicken and bacon, place the prepared pieces into a shallow container (I used a 13×9 pan). Pour about half of the cooled BBQ sauce over the chicken and bacon making sure to fully saturate it. Cover and place into the fridge overnight or at least for 2-3 hours.
- To build the skewers alternate chicken pieces and bacon strips, should have about 8 full skewers, season with salt and pepper.
- Preheat your grill to hight heat. Lightly oil grates. Place kabobs on the grill and use reserved sauce to baste while cooking. Cook for about 12-15 minutes until chicken is fully cooked. Add more sauce at the end if desired and serve.