Asiago Stuffed Chicken Roll-Ups
What sounds better than a nice juicy chicken breast stuffed with asiago cheese and mozzarella??
Might I add also smothered in a rich homemade red sauce packed with flavors of garlic, basil, oregano, and a kick of red pepper… is your mouth watering yet??
Well lucky for you thats exactly what I have for you! haha
And of course surprise surprise this delicious recipe was made in a lighter way so it can easily be worked into your weekly meal prep and healthy weeknight dinners!
Most of the time the recipes that I make are things that I’ve been craving or just sound super good in the moment… sometimes it doesn’t always pan out especially when you’re trying to make things healthier it can really be a hit or miss.
This was absolutely a hit!!
These Asiago Stuffed Chicken Roll-Ups are the perfect meal especially when you’re trying to lose weight, maintain or just cook healthier meals – packed with so much flavor and giving you that feeling of a “cheat” meal that you would get out at your favorite restaurant!
With one serving being less than 400 calories and with 42 grams of protein this will definitely keep you full and satisfied! (plus you get all that cheese!!)
Asiago Stuffed Chicken Roll- Ups Ingredients:
For the Chicken :
2o oz. boneless skinless chicken breast
1/3 cup cornstarch
1 egg plus 1 egg white, beaten
2/3 cup breadcrumbs
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp basil
1/4 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp oregano
1/4 tsp garlic powder
2 oz. asiago cheese
2 oz. fresh mozzarella
For the Sauce:
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 tsp. avocado oil (or olive oil)
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
1/2 tsp. red pepper flake
1/4 tsp. pepper
15 oz. can of tomato sauce
1 tsp. dried oregano
3/4 tsp. dried basil
1/2 tsp. dried thyme
- Preheat oven to 450°.
- To prepare the chicken, trim the fat and cut them into 5 oz. pieces.
- Pound each 5 oz. piece to about 1/2 inch to 1 inch thickness (you want the chicken to be thin enough that you can roll up into a pinwheel). Season the chicken both sides with salt and pepper and set aside.
- To create an assembly line place 3 bowls in a row and then a foil lined baking sheet (spray with cooking spray) at the very end.
- In the first bowl add cornstarch.
- The second bowl whisk together 1 egg and 1 egg white.
- The third bowl add breadcrumbs, kosher salt, basil, pepper, oregano, and garlic powder and whisk together until fully incorporated.
- Next portion your cheese into slices, you will be using 1/2 oz. of each cheese in each chicken roll up.
- Take one piece of pounded out chicken lay the cheese slices in the middle of the chicken and roll up into a pinwheel.
- Take the chicken roll-up and carefully dip and coat in the cornstarch, then dip in the egg mixture, and lastly in the breadcrumbs – making sure to fully coat. Place onto prepared baking sheet with the seam side down.
- Repeat the process with the rest of the chicken and cheese, should have 4 full roll-ups.
- Spray the tops of the chicken roll-ups with cooking spray.
- Place into the oven for about 25 minutes or until chicken is fully cooked, flipping halfway in between.
- In the meantime you can prep the red sauce.
- In a cold saucepan add garlic, kosher salt, avocado oil, pepper, and red pepper flake.
- Turn the heat on to medium. Heat until you can start to smell the seasonings and then add the tomato sauce, basil, thyme, and oregano. Stir to fully combine.
- Bring to a simmer and then turn heat down to low and cook for 8-10 minutes.
- Once the chicken roll-ups are fully cooked top with prepared red sauce and serve.
Serving Size: 1 Asiago Stuffed Chicken Roll-up ( 1- 5oz. breaded chicken stuffed with 1 oz. of cheese, and topped with red sauce)
Fat: 12 g
Carbohydrates: 28 g
Fiber: 1 g
Sugar: 2 g
Sodium: 845 mg (w/o added salt)
Protein: 42 g