Turkey Sloppy Joes
Sloppy joes – YUM! This just takes me right back to my childhood…
Sloppy Joes were an every-other-week meal in my house and I just loved them! The slight sweetness of the meat with melty cheese on top, all piled onto a bun… Trying to eat these as a kid was a delicious disaster.
I haven’t had a sloppy joe in years and just thought of them the other day. With some searching around, I came across a recipe I just had to try.
These turkey sloppy joes are so easy to make and definitely a crowd pleaser – and of course they are… Wait for it… HEALTHY!! I know – crazy, right?
Since they are made with lean ground turkey they have a lower fat content while being packed with protein. Now, usually I wouldn’t have a bun. I would eat it right out of the bowl to save on some calories, but since I haven’t had one is so long…
I went for the bun! No regrets here 🙂
Sloppy Joe Ingredients:
- 1 lb. lean ground turkey
- 1 cup yellow onion, diced
- 1/2 green pepper, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp. mustard
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 8 oz can tomato sauce
- 2 tbsp. barbecue sauce
- 2 packets of stevia
- salt and pepper
- cheese slices (optional)
- buns (optional)
- Using a non-stick skillet (sprayed with cooking spray), saute onion and green pepper for about 5 minutes on medium heat, stirring occasionally.
- Add ground turkey to the pan, as it starts to brown break up with spatula into small pieces.
- Once turkey is fully cooked and broken up, add garlic, mustard, ketchup, tomato sauce, barbecue sauce and stevia.
- Season with salt and pepper and stir until fully combined.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and cook for 40-45 minutes, until sauce has thickened and all ingredients are incorporated.
- Serve as is or on a bun of your choice.
This nutritional information is for the meat only – if you have it on a bun and/or with cheese (as pictured), then you’ll need to account for that as well.
Serving size: 1/2 cup of sloppy joe
Fat: 5 g
Carbohydrates: 8 g
Sodium: 210 mg
Sugar: 6 g
Fiber: 4 g
Protein: 15 g
The Testosterone Chef is a cookbook all about eating in a way that supports your hormones. With 90+ recipes for both men and women, there's something for everyone in here...
Click here to check it out!