Toasted Coconut Muffins
Just got back from our trip back to Chicago – where we’re from – for a few things: my stepsister’s wedding in the city (which was beautiful!), my family reunion in Michigan City, and seeing other family and friends.
It’s always so nice to go back and visit with everyone, but it always goes so fast 🙁
We also got to do a couple of Chicago “MUSTS” which was having Lou Malnatis deep dish pizza (OMG it was AMAZING!) and going to a White Sox baseball game! Lots of fun times and memories with some great people…
I know I talk a lot about working out and eating healthy… overall just having a healthy lifestyle and making good choices. But sometimes you need to just enjoy yourself – especially when your on vacation!
My thoughts on vacations are I’m going to do the best I can for most of my meals and workout when I can, but when it comes to going out for a dinner once and a while – for example, going for deep dish pizza (which we don’t have very good pizza in Florida at all!) – then honestly I’m not going to overthink it; I’m going to let myself enjoy it!
Everyone is different, but I know that when I get back from vacation I can say that I enjoyed myself without letting myself go completely… It’s all about keeping things in check without letting it consume you.
Honestly how much fun is a vacation if you’re stressing about everything you eat and how often you were able to work out? Just make it work for yourself while still enjoying it!
Ok done with my little rant 🙂
As you can see I have a delicious muffin recipe for you, and yes, they are a lighter choice!
These toasted coconut muffins are the perfect light breakfast or afternoon snack that are very reminiscent of an Almond Joy (at least that’s what my husband says), super flavorful with the crunch of toasted coconut flakes, bits of chocolate and some protein from the Greek yogurt to fill you up!
I enjoyed mine warmed up a bit with a cup of coffee and was pretty much in heaven 🙂
TIP: To lower the calories even more, use an unsweetened coconut flakes and opt out of the chocolate chunks, the flavor or the muffin is so great that you won’t miss them too much! 🙂
Toasted Coconut Muffins Ingredients:
1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. baking powder
3 tbsp. coconut oil, melted (measure before melted)
2/3 cup plain non-fat Greek yogurt
1 tsp. coconut extract
1/4 cup mini dark chocolate morsels
1/2 cup coconut flakes
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- On a baking sheet lined with foil, spray with cooking spray and pour the coconut flakes evenly over the pan.
- Place pan into the oven for a few minutes until toasted and lightly golden (make sure to keep an eye on them; the flakes can burn fast). Remove from oven and set aside.
- In a medium bowl whisk together flour, sugar, salt and baking powder. Set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk together coconut oil, Greek yogurt, eggs, and coconut extract.
- Slowly start to fold flour mixture into the wet mixture until fully combined (batter will be thick). TIP: If batter is too thick you can add a slash of low-fat/fat-free milk to it.
- Fold in half of the toasted coconut flakes and chocolate chips until fully incorporates.
- In a muffin pan spray cups with cooking spray or use muffin liners.
- Using a 1/4 cup measuring cup, scoop out batter and pour into muffin pan. Should make about 12 muffins.
- Sprinkle the tops of each muffin with remaining toasted coconut flakes and place into the oven for 15-18 minutes. DON’T OVER-BAKE… Test with toothpick (when if comes out clean).
Serving Size: 1 muffin
Fat: 10 g
Carbohydrates: 30 g
Sugar: 14 g
Fiber: 1 g
Sodium: 43 mg. (w/o added salt)
Protein: 6 g
The Testosterone Chef is a cookbook all about eating in a way that supports your hormones. With 90+ recipes for both men and women, there's something for everyone in here...
Click here to check it out!