A healthy recipe is definitely in need after the last few posts… Sometimes it’s good to take a break and enjoy yourself, but it’s just as important to get right back on track.
These thai turkey meatballs are just what you need! They meatballs are easy, healthy and packed with protein to keep you feeling full and satisfied.
This recipe is full of flavor from the creaminess of the coconut milk to the richness of the peanut butter in the sauce – and of course some chili flakes for that touch of heat.
I try to make recipes that are easy for all skill levels out there… Don’t be discouraged by the number of ingredients in a particular recipe because most of the time (if you cook often) you will already have them in your pantry. In this recipe, the only things I didn’t have – or were out of the ordinary – were the fish sauce and red curry paste.
If you’re looking for something that doesn’t require a $5 bottle of red curry paste (or if you don’t plan on using it for other recipes), I would stick to the basic Italian meatballs or the chipotle chicken meatballs.
…But if you’re looking to try something new to help you stay on track, be healthy and feed your family (and have them actually enjoy it!), then give these Thai Turkey Meatballs a try and they will not disappoint… That red curry paste may actually be worth it if it becomes a favorite in your house! 😉
For the Meatballs:
1 lb. lean ground turkey
4 green onions, chopped
1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
1 tbsp. fish sauce
1 tbsp. red curry paste
1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
1 egg, beaten
salt and pepper
For the Sauce:
1 tbsp. olive oil (or sesame oil)
1 can light coconut milk
1 tbsp. red curry paste
2 tbsp. peanut butter
2 tsp. red pepper flakes
1 tbsp. brown sugar
salt and pepper to taste
QUICK TIP: I made my meatballs in the crockpot (I’m a little obsessed with the crockpot lately, haha)… But you can make the meatballs in the oven (375° for 30 minutes until done), as well and make the sauce on the stove (combine all sauce ingredients, heat and toss cooked meatballs in it). Garnish with cilantro and serve!
- To make the meatballs combine turkey, green onions, cilantro, fish sauce, red curry paste, panic, egg, salt and pepper in a large bowl.
- Using your hands, mix all the ingredients throughout the meat to fully combine (try not to over mix).
- Form the meatballs into golf ball size and place onto a plate or baking sheet and repeat until you’ve used all the meat (about 18-20 meatballs).
- In a large skillet, heat 2 tsp of olive oil on medium heat. Place meatballs onto the skillet and sear for about 1-2 minutes on each side (this will help keep them from falling apart).
- Once they are all seared, place in the crockpot (sprayed with cooking spray).
- In a bowl whisk together coconut milk, red curry paste, peanut butter, red pepper flakes, brown sugar and salt and pepper.
- Pour sauce over the meatballs and set the crockpot to LOW for 6-7 hours (or HIGH for 4 hours).
- Serve meatballs over rice or by themselves: pour sauce over the top and sprinkle with more cilantro.
Servings: 20 approx.
Serving Size: 1 meatball
Fat: 6 g
Carbohydrates: 3 g
Sugar: 1 g
Protein: 5 g