I’ve seen a lot of these “bubble up” recipes lately, where you take pieces of biscuits and add them into a casserole and it bubbles up as you bake it… What a fantastic idea!
BUT… The problem is that most of these recipes use the whole can of biscuits for one casserole… To put that in perspective, one biscuit is 160 calories and there are eight in a pack. That adds quite a bit of calories (and fat) to your dish which yes, is delicious – but not on the healthier or lighter side.
This spinach and artichoke chicken bubble casserole has just the right amount of tasty goodness from the popular “bubble up” dishes, only with way less calories!
You still get buttery flakey pieces of biscuit in almost every bite, but they’re balanced out with some filling veggies and chicken!
The “filling” of this dish is very reminiscent of a cheesy spinach artichoke dip; add some filling and lean chicken to it and you have a pretty hearty, wholesome meal.
It really is like having spoonfuls of spinach artichoke dip – but you don’t have to feel bad about it, haha 🙂
TIP: I made my meal a little more balanced by having 1 square of casserole and a generous side of roasted veggies… YUM!
Spinach and Artichoke Chicken Bubble Casserole Ingredients:
- 2 lbs. boneless skinless chicken breast
- 8 oz. light cream cheese
- 1 packet garlic and herb seasoning (I used Good Season)
- 2 1/2 cups fat-free reduced sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup fat-free half and half
- 5 oz. baby spinach
- 1 – 14oz. artichoke hearts, quartered
- 1/2 cup shredded Italian blend
- 4 biscuits, cut into 8 pieces (per biscuit)
- 2/3 cup shredded Italian blend cheese
- 1/4 cup asiago blend
- salt and pepper
- cooking spray
- Spray crockpot with cooking spray. Lay trimmed chicken into the bottom of the crockpot.
- In a medium bowl whisk together broth, half and half, and seasoning packet together until all blended. Pour over chicken, add cream cheese.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 6-7 hours.
- Once chicken is cooked, remove from crockpot and shred on a cutting board. Return chicken to crockpot and toss in leftover sauce.
- Using a slotted spoon, scoop chicken out into a large bowl. Add spinach to that bowl and stir until all incorporated. Add artichoke hearts and 1/2 cup Italian shredded cheese. Stir together. Season with salt and pepper if desired.
- In a 13×9 casserole dish, spray with cooking spray, then scoop chicken mixture into the pan evenly.
- Take biscuit pieces and layer evenly on-top of the chicken.
- Bake for 20 minutes uncovered.
- Remove from over sprinkle with remaining 2/3 cup shredded Italian cheese and 1/4 cup asiago blend. Return to over for another 15 minutes, until golden brown and bubbly.
Serving Size: 1 square (1/8 of the pan)
Fat: 15 g
Carbohydrates: 16 g
Sugar: 3 g
Sodium: 811 mg
Fiber: 2 g
Protein: 35 g