Spaghetti Squash is where it’s at… If you haven’t tried it yet, I highly recommend it! It’s super filling (especially for a squash) and once you learn how to cook with it, it’s very easy to use.
The last spaghetti squash recipe I came out with was the Turkey Spaghetti Squash which has a nice red sauce, Italian seasoning on the turkey and mozzarella cheese on top… and yes it’s delish, but I thought, “Why not make a version of this with white sauce?”
After all – mix up the flavors and you have a completely different dish. 🙂
This spaghetti squash with chicken and mushrooms has a mixture of Alfredo sauce (I used a light one), sautéed mushrooms, shredded chicken, white cheddar cheese and fresh chives.
Give this recipe a try and it will soon become a family favorite… It’s a great meal for the cold months ahead, perfectly filling and of course healthy… What else could you want?
2 lbs. boneless skinless chicken breast, trimmed
1 container of mushrooms
1 tbsp. unsalted butter
1 (2-3 cups) spaghetti squash
2 oz. shredded white cheddar
1 jar Alfredo sauce (to keep it healthier use a light version. This would also be great with a red sauce.)
4-5 chives (you can use less; we like a lot)
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- You make the chicken however you want, either crockpot of on the stove top.
- Shred chicken and add to a large bowl.
- I make the spaghetti squash in the crockpot – here is a great step-by-step way to do it.
- Once the spaghetti squash is done, cut it in half lengthwise and then scoop out and discard the seeds. Using a fork, start to flake away the squash from the skin and place into the bowl (about 3 cups worth).
- In a skillet, heat 1 tbsp. butter, add mushrooms and cook until cooked down (about 5-7 minutes). Add the shredded chicken.
- Add jar of pasta sauce and stir until everything is completely combined.
- Spray a 13×9 pan with cooking spray, add chicken/squash mixture to the pan evenly.
- Add shredded cheese on-top, cover with foil and place in the oven for 30 minutes.
- Take out of the oven take the foil off and cook for another 15 minutes (for crispier cheese, turn on the broiler for a few minutes).
- Take out of the oven top with fresh chives and serve.
Serving Size: 1/6 of the pan (1 square) approx.
Fat: 9 g
Carbohydrates: 10 g
Sugar: 3 g
Protein: 29 g