While trying to think of some new recipes to make this week, and since I’m on this whole kick of making our favorite comfort foods into healthy ones, I thought it would be great to try out a different take on chicken parmesan: parmesan chicken tenders!
These are a great option – especially for a family. Everyone (including the kids) will love them! What kid (or adult) doesn’t like chicken fingers?
If you look back at some of the recent recipes on the blog here, you’ll notice I’ve been using ground oatmeal as my breading. Well, I did the same thing for this one too – it really adds that nice texture of a breading without all the fat and extra calories.
Enjoy this with a nice baked potato and side salad, or make it fun with some potato wedges!
For the Chicken:
2 lbs. boneless skinless chicken tenders
1 egg, beaten
1 cup old-fashioned oatmeal, ground
1/4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
1 tsp. dried oregano
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. onion powder
1 tsp. seasoning salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
For the Marinara Sauce:
1 28oz. can crushed tomatoes
1/4 cup olive oil
1 tsp. red pepper flake
3 garlic cloves
1 tsp. dried basil
1 tsp. salt
- Preheat oven to 425°
- In a medium sauce pan, add oil and heat on medium heat. Add garlic, red pepper flake, and basil and heat until fragrant about 1-2 minutes.
- Then pour in the can of tomatoes and stir until combined.
- Add salt and heat on low for about 5-10 minutes and set aside.
- To make the coating, add the oats to a food processor and pulse until fine like flour.
- Pour into a medium bowl and add parmesan cheese, oregano, garlic powder, onion, powder, seasoning salt, and pepper. Stir to combine. Set aside.
- Take one egg and beat in a small bowl.
- Take the chicken tenders and dip in the egg mixture and then into the breading (press on each side to fully coat) and place on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Repeat until all chicken is coated.
- Place chicken in oven for 18-20 minutes depending on the thickness of the chicken.
Nutritional Information: Chicken
Servings: 5-6 (depending on how many tenders you have – I had 16 total)
Serving Size: 3 tenders
Fat: 3 g
Carbohydrates: 9 g
Fiber: 0 g
Sodium: 291 mg (without salt)
Protein: 42 g
Nutritional Information: Marinara Dipping Sauce
Serving Size: 4 tbsp.
Fat: 4 g
Carbohydrates: 4 g
Fiber: 2 g
Sodium: 104 mg (without salt)
Protein: 1 g