Mushroom Quinoa Risotto
One of my favorite and probably most special dish to make is my Parmesan Mushroom Risotto… it literally melts in your mouth!
So creamy, flavorful, and rich and pairs perfectly with almost any main dish- our favorite being a filet mignon.
It’s one of those dishes that it really takes some time to make but to me thats what makes it so enjoyable you’re just slowly watching this dish go from nothing to something absolutely delicious!
Risotto is just one of those dishes once you know how to make it will always be that go-to dish anytime you’re entertaining or making a nice meal for someone.
Now the only bad thing about a traditional risotto is that it’s usually made with tons of butter and cheese- which yes it makes it absolutely amazing but not as figure friendly as I would like.
My Mushroom Quinoa Risotto has all the flavors of the traditional dish – meaty mushrooms, creamy butter, a nutty pecorino cheese, and fresh parsley but with less calories and fat.
This dish also has a decent amount of protein per serving so it will keep you fuller and that’s even without your main dish which will most likely be a protein source!
Needless to say a meal that includes this mushroom risotto will be wholesome and filling leaving you feeling pretty darn good 🙂
Mushroom Quinoa Risotto Ingredients:
1- lb. baby bella mushrooms, sliced
1 shallot, finely chopped
2 tsp. olive oil
1 cup quinoa
4 cups fat-free chicken broth
1/2 cup marsala wine
1 tbsp. unsalted butter, softened
2 tbsp. grated pecorino romano cheese
salt and pepper, to taste
2-3 tbsp. chopped parsley
- In medium saucepan heat broth on medium heat to bring to simmer.
- Once broth is at a simmer bring the heat down to low.
- In a large nonstick skillet heat skillet to medium-high heat, spray with cooking spray and add sliced mushrooms.
- Turn heat down to medium and stir as they cook down. Continue to cook until all the liquid has been absorbed. Season with salt and pepper and remove from the pan.
- Keeping the heat around medium add 2 tsp. olive oil to pan.
- Then add in the chopped shallots, toss in the olive oil and cook down for just a few minutes until softened.
- Pour in 1 cup of dry quinoa into the pan, toss in the remaining olive oil and let sit in the pan for about 1-2 minutes to slightly toast the quinoa.
- Add in the 1/2 cup of marsala wine and this will start to sizzle and deglaze the pan. Stir to incorporate.
- Once the marsala wine is absorbed by the quinoa you’re going to start slowly adding in the warmed broth about 1/3 cup at a time.
- When you add in the broth, stir to combine but then let sit and cook into the rice until its fully absorbed, then add in your next 1/3 cup of warmed broth.
- (IMPORTANT: make sure to not add more broth until the previous 1/3 cup of broth is absorbed into the rice, this is a process and will most likely take about 20-25 minutes for the whole thing).
- Keep repeating until you have used all the broth and quinoa has absorbed all the liquid and become al dente in texture (still with a slight texture).
- Once all the broth is absorbed and you have this nice texture going, turn heat down to low.
- Add in 1 tbsp. butter and stir until completely melted in.
- Stir in mushrooms, then 2 tbsp. grated pecorino cheese, and fresh parsley.
- Once all ingredients are incorporated season with salt and pepper to taste, and stir to combine.
- Serve immediately.
Serving Size: 6.5 ounces of Mushroom Quinoa Risotto
Fat: 9 g
Carbohydrates: 37 g
Fiber: 5 g
Sugar: 8 g
Sodium: 683 mg (w/o added salt)
Protein: 14 g
The Testosterone Chef is a cookbook all about eating in a way that supports your hormones. With 90+ recipes for both men and women, there's something for everyone in here...
Click here to check it out!