Healthy Italian Stuffed Shells
Happy Valentines Day to you all!!
If you’re looking for a nice last minute idea for today or even this upcoming weekend to celebrate the holiday… I would suggest a nice quiet night in and a home cooked meal! (surprise surprise right??!!)
Whether you want to have a little Galentines night or Valentines night with your guy/girl having a nice quiet night in with maybe a great bottle of wine, candle light, some excellent music, and of course a delicious meal to go along with it.
I think there is nothing more impressive than coming home to surprise dinner from your guy or girl! And if you both lead pretty hectic lives it’s so refreshing to just relax, sit down (without the tv lol) and spend quality time together.
This recipe for Italian Stuffed Shells is the perfect meal to make for the holiday… not only is it an easy meal to throw together but is healthy and delicious!
With all the flavors of rich tomato sauce, bold asiago and peccornino cheese, along with perfectly seasoning meat – this will really give you all the feels of a nice dinner at your favorite Italian restaurant.
Pair this with a great caesar salad, some french baguettes (warmed of course), and a great bottle of wine and you have a pretty awesome Valentines meal!
Italian Stuffed Shells Ingredients:
1 – lb. lean ground turkey
2 tsp. olive oil
1 shallot, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp. dried rosemary
1 tsp. dried oregano
1 tsp. dried basil
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/4 tsp. ground fennel
1.5 oz. light cream cheese, softened
18 jumbo pasta shells
1 jar of pasta sauce (I used the Four Cheese Classico sauce)
40 grams shaved asiago cheese
30 grams grated pecorino romano cheese
2-3 tbsp. chopped parsley
salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- In a large stockpot cook pasta shells according to the packaging instructions.
- In the meantime you can prep the turkey – in a large skillet heat 2 tsp. of olive oil on medium-high heat.
- Add chopped shallots to the pan toss in the olive oil and turn heat down to medium.
- Cook shallots for a few minutes until softened.
- Add turkey to the pan and using a wooden spatula start to break into small pieces until its all ground up.
- Once meat is cooked and ground up turn heat down to low.
- Add garlic, rosemary, oregano, basil, salt, pepper, and fennel. Stir to completely combine.
- Add softened cream cheese and stir until fully incorporated and melted. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Once the pasta is cooked drain and let cool so its easier to handle.
- In a 13×9 pan spray with cooking spray, and spoon a little pasta sauce and to coat the bottom of the pan.
- To build the shells take a heaping spoonful of turkey and place in the pasta shell.
- Place into the prepared baking dish and repeat until you have about 18 stuffed pasta shells.
- Pour remaining sauce over the top of the stuffed shells.
- Sprinkle the tops with asiago and pecorino and a little salt and pepper.
- Cover with foil and place into the place into the oven for 30 minutes.
- Remove foil and place back into the oven for 10-15 minutes, until cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Sprinkle with fresh parsley and serve.
Serving Size: 3 Stuffed Shells
Fat: 12 g
Carbohydrates: 30 g
Sugar: 7 g
Fiber: 3 g
Sodium: 652 mg
Protein: 25 g
The Testosterone Chef is a cookbook all about eating in a way that supports your hormones. With 90+ recipes for both men and women, there's something for everyone in here...
Click here to check it out!