Healthy Huevos Rancheros
Huevos rancheros is a combination of everything I love…
(Okay, I love a lot of things, but this absolutely delicious!)
A perfectly fried egg on top of spicy meat and red chile sauce, sprinkled with fresh cilantro and crumbled Cotija cheese… YUM!!
Now you may think this looks like a lot of work, but honestly this meal was made with just the things I already had in my fridge. I always have eggs, ground turkey, some kind of cheese and fresh herbs, so you could honestly change this up with whatever you have on hand it would be amazing!
I usually don’t eat breakfast because of the fitness program I’m on – I usually “fast” until lunch time – but I love breakfast food; from sweet to savory, I just can’t get enough of it!
I don’t have breakfast very often, but we just started to have breakfast meals for dinner once a week and this meal came to mind!
These healthy huevos rancheros are the perfect last minute “throw together” meal or even a great choice for a Sunday brunch… Either way, you have a healthy, flavorful and simple meal that you’ll want to make again and again!
And if you’re feeling kinda crazy, scoop a bit of guacamole on top for an extra treat!
Healthy Huevos Rancheros Ingredients:
1 lb. lean ground turkey or chicken
1 tbsp. coconut oil
1 jalapeno, diced and seeded (leave seeds in for extra kick)
1/4 cup red onion, diced
1 packet taco seasoning (or use homemade)
1 can red enchilada sauce ( I used my homemade recipe)
salt and pepper
Cotija cheese (or any kind of Mexican cheese), crumbled
fresh cilantro, chopped
eggs (however many you’d like)
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- In a large skillet on medium heat, add coconut oil.
- Add jalapeno and red onion to the skillet and toss in coconut oil. Cook for 3-5 minutes until softened.
- Add in meat and start to brown and break apart until fully cooked.
- Next add in the taco seasoning to the meat mixture and stir to fully combine (follow directions on the packet). When meat is done cooking, take off the heat and set aside.
- On a foil-lined baking sheet spray with cooking spray place how ever many corn tortillas you want and then spray the tops of them. Place into the oven and keep your eye on them. You want to cook them just enough so they are crispy and can hold all the toppings.
- While the tortillas are cooking, heat a skillet on medium and spray with cooking spray. Add eggs to the pan, turn down to low cook for about 2 minutes then cover and cook for another 2-3 minutes or until white is cooked and yolk is still runny. Season with sea salt and pepper.
- When the tortillas are done spread the top with enchilada sauce top with about 2oz. of cooked meat, fried egg and sprinkle with cheese and fresh cilantro.
- Serve with more enchilada sauce, fresh salsa, or even guacamole!
Serving Size: 2 huevos rancheros
(1 serving = 2 corn tortillas, 4 oz. meat, 1 oz. cheese, 2 eggs, sauce)
Fat: 25 g*
Carbohydrates: 16 g
Fiber: 3 g
Sugar: 2 g
Protein: 43 g
* To lower the fat, use a fried egg white instead of the whole egg. You can also use a reduced-fat shredded Mexican cheese in place of the Cotija.
The Testosterone Chef is a cookbook all about eating in a way that supports your hormones. With 90+ recipes for both men and women, there's something for everyone in here...
Click here to check it out!