Deep Dish Taco Pie
Seeing as though I’m from Chicago I love a good deep dish pizza… But living in Florida, those are hard to come by! Whenever I visit family back in Chicago I get my little fix so when I’m home I’m not tempted to eat a calorie dense meal…
But now and again we get those cravings and sometimes you just got to indulge a bit. In this case, I took 2 of my favorite meals and combined them into a tasty and wholesome recipe that I don’t have to feel guilty about!
This deep dish taco pie has a flaky crust filled with lots of tasty taco meat mixed with seasonings, tomato sauce, refried beans, and topped with a blend of Mexican cheeses then baked to perfection.
From there you simply top it with your favorite taco fixings (mine were jalapeños, tomatoes, cilantro and green onions) to bring it all together 🙂
Deep Dish Taco Pie Ingredients:
[ingredients title=”For The Deep Dish Taco Pie”]
- 2 lbs ground turkey
- 2 packets of taco seasoning
- 1 cup fat free refried beans
- 1-14 oz. can Rotel diced tomatoes and green chiles
- 1-6oz. can tomato paste
- 1 cup shredded Mexican cheese
- 1 tube pilsbury pizza crust
[ingredients title=”Optional Toppings”]
- green onions
- red onion
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- In a standard pie pan spray with cooking spray, take pizza dough out of the tube. Use a rolling pin to roll out dough into more of a square then a rectangle. Lay dough over pie pan pressing dough into the bottom of the pan and taking the excess dough and folding over to form a crust on the edges, evenly around the whole pan. Place into the oven to pre-bake for 6-8 minutes.
- Meanwhile heat a large skillet on medium-high. Spray skillet with cooking spray and add 2 lbs. of ground turkey, start to breakup with spatula as it starts to brown.
- Reduce heat to medium and continue breaking up turkey with spatula until is fully cooked. Add both taco seasoning packets to the turkey and follow directions according to package. Add 1 cup of refried beans and tomato paste, stir until fully combined, mixture will be slightly thick.
- Once the crust is done pre-baking remove from oven, scoop turkey mixture into the pie shell and spread evenly. Sprinkle evenly with 1 cup of shredded cheese and place pie pan bake into the oven for 15 minutes or until cheese is melted and crust is golden brown.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle with your preferred toppings. Let cool for a few minutes and then cut into 8 equal pieces.
Serving Size: 1 piece of deep dish taco pie (1/8 of a standard pie pan)
Fat: 14 g
Carbohydrates: 27 g
Sugar: 3 g
Fiber: 2 g
Sodium: 616 mg
Protein: 30 g
The Testosterone Chef is a cookbook all about eating in a way that supports your hormones. With 90+ recipes for both men and women, there's something for everyone in here...
Click here to check it out!