I’ve been loving my crockpot lately and have been making all kinds of healthy chili for our lunches (like this Spicy Chicken Chili). Not only are crockpot recipes like these easy, when you make them in bulk you’re set on lunches for the week – if you like leftovers, like I do 🙂
(These recipes are especially good for when you’re trying to stay on track with your calories.)
Now typically we stick to a lot of the same flavors for chili, but I love trying new things… This dish is just the one to mix things up.
This crockpot Thai chicken curry chili is a great dish this time of year and it’s packed with chicken, chickpeas and a Thai coconut curry sauce, all cooked to perfection in a crockpot… YUM!
You can eat this alone or over rice and it makes a great dinner or a leftover lunch!
Crockpot Thai Chicken Curry Chili Ingredients:
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 1 sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 1.5 lbs boneless skinless chicken breast, trimmed and cut into 1/2 inch chunks2 –
- 13.5 oz. can lite coconut milk
- 4 tbsp. red curry paste
- 3 garlic cloves. minced
- 1 tbsp. ginger
- 2 cups non-fat reduced sodium chicken broth
- 2 tbsp. reduced sodium soy sauce
- 1 tbsp. brown sugar
- 1 stevia packet
- 2 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 2 oz. light plain cream cheese
- fresh cilantro or basil (optional topping)
- In a large skillet or pot heat olive oil on medium high heat then add onions, reduce heat to medium and cook for about 3-5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Before adding the chicken, season it well with salt and pepper. Add chicken pieces to the pot and cook just to brown all sides, not fully cooked. Once chicken is browned remove from heat and set aside.
- In the crockpot add coconut milk, red curry paste, garlic, ginger, chicken broth, soy sauce, brown sugar, stevia, chili powder, salt and pepper. Whisk together until fully incorporated. Add chicken and onions to the crockpot and stir together.
- Set crockpot on HIGH for 4-5 hours or LOW 7-8 hours. When there is about 1 hour left, add cubed softened cream cheese to the crockpot and stir until melted in. Cover and finish cooking.
- Serve with fresh cilantro or basil (optional).
Servings: approx. 10
Serving Size: approx. 7 ounces
Fat: 7 g
Carbohydrates: 12 g
Sugar: 4 g
Fiber: 3 g
Sodium: 636 mg
Protein: 20 g