In our house we get Chipotle at least once a week. Since I cook most other nights, Chipotle makes an easy, healthy and quick option – and it doesn’t hurt that it’s absolutely delicious!
Both my husband and I love those flavors so much I thought I would come up with a recipe to make at home to get our fix in multiple times a week if we want.
This homemade chipotle chicken spaghetti squash burrito bowl is a tasty version of the takeout meal you know and love, but made a bit healthier. Subbing the rice for the squash it cuts out some calories and carbs… without losing any of the flavors but still keeping you full and satisfied 🙂
I made our bowls very classic with spaghetti squash on the bottom, a layer of black beans, chipotle chicken, salsa, and cheese, with a little fresh cilantro… needless to say is a flavor-packed meal!!
This meal can be made pretty simply too by marinading the chicken overnight, cooking the squash in the crockpot the next day, then cooking chicken and building bowl with your preferred toppings!
Chipotle Chicken Spaghetti Squash Burrito Bowl Ingredients:
- 2 small spaghetti squash
- 1.5 lbs. boneless skinless chicken breast, trimmed and pounded out into 1inch thickness
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tbsp. chipotle pepper powder (or chili powder)
- 1 1/2 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp. onion powder
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. oregano
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 1/2 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 tbsp. honey
- black beans
- shredded Mexican blend cheese
- sour cream
For the Spaghetti Squash
- First take a knife and pierce each squash about 4-5 times.
- Place squash into the crockpot, cover and cook on HIGH for 3-4 hours.
- Once squash is cooked, let cool for a bit so it’s easier to handle.
- Place onto a cutting board and cut each squash in half lengthwise (should cut easily).
- Scoop out seeds from the middle of squash and discard.
- Take a fork and start to shred the remaining squash from the edge to the middle, should resemble noodles.
- Set aside each half, should have 4 halves (4 burrito bowls).
For the Chicken
- Trim the chicken breasts, place onto a cutting board, place a layer of plastic wrap over the meat.
- Pound out the chicken a bit to make it even, about 1/2 -3/4 inch thickness all around, this will help the chicken stay tender and cook more evenly.
- Then to marinade the chicken, preferably overnight but at least for a few hours.
- In a small bowl whisk together, olive oil, chipotle pepper, cumin, smoked paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, pepper, oregano, lime juice and honey. Whisk together well.
- In a shallow bowl or large ziplock bag, add chicken and then pour marinade over that, massage the marinade into the meat.
- Place into the fridge until ready to use.
- Heat grill to medium-high heat.
- Place chicken on the grill, close lid and cook for 4-5 minutes.
- Raise lid and flip chicken, cook for an additional 4-5 minutes, until fully cooked.
- To make sure chicken is fully cooked you can use a instant-read thermometer and should be around 160-165.
- Remove from grill when chicken is fully cooked and browned, let rest for about 5 minutes.
- Chopped chicken into bitesize chunks.
To Build the Burrito Bowls
- Take each halved squash and season with salt and pepper, top with 1/4 cup of black beans, 6 oz. chipotle chicken, 1/4 cup of shredded cheese and salsa.
- Repeat until you have 4 burrito bowls.
Serving Size: 1 halved spaghetti squash with 1/4 cup black beans, 6 oz chipotle chicken and 1/4 cup shredded cheese
Fat: 23 g
Carbohydrates: 22 g
Sugar: 7 g
Fiber: 4 g
Sodium: 439 mg (w/o added salt)
Protein: 49 g