One of my favorite take-out meals is gyros. It was always such a treat to have them… There was an amazing little “hole the wall” place that my mom and I would go that had the best ones!
Yes, I will still occasionally get the real thing, but I came across this chicken gyros recipe and had to try it. It has all the great flavors of a gyro with an delicious tzatziki sauce (no gyro is complete without tzatziki sauce), but without the calorie bomb of a regular gyro. Winner!!
It’s very easy to make and definitely one I will make again and again.
TIP: These chicken gyros go great with easy baked potato wedges!
For the Tzatziki Sauce:
1 cup plain nonfat Greek yogurt
1 cucumber (peeled, seeded, diced)
1 teaspoon minced garlic
salt and pepper
For the Chicken:
1 1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breast, trimmed and cut into tenders
2 teaspoons minced garlic
3 tbsp. lemon juice
2 tbsp. olive oil
2 tbsp. plain nonfat Greek yogurt
1 tbsp. dried oregano
salt and pepper
pita or wrap
toppings: avocado, red onion, tomatoes
- First you want to make the marinade for the chicken. Combine garlic, lemon juice, olive oil, yogurt, oregano, salt and pepper into a large bowl and whisk together until fully combined.
- Place chicken in the bowl and mix it with the marinade until chicken is coated.
- Place in the fridge for at least an hour.
- To make the sauce, combine yogurt, cucumber, garlic, salt and pepper, drizzle a little olive oil and stir well.
- Set in fridge for at least 30 minutes.
- To cook the chicken, heat a large skillet with a little olive oil and cook chicken about 10-12 minutes on one side and another 5-8 minutes on the other depending of the thickness.
- Once cooked, place into a wrap or pita and top with sauce and other choice toppings… Then enjoy!
Adapted from: The Girl Who Ate Everything