I love Mexican food! It’s so fresh, flavorful and fun. Whether it’s tacos, chimichangas, guacamole or carnitas…. I love it all 🙂
I’m always on the lookout for a great recipe or trying my own version of things. That’s why I felt like it was finally time to share one of my favorite recipes I found in the last few years.
I love these chicken enchiladas so much that I haven’t changed the recipe much at all and they’re my go-to every time. In short, they’re perfect just the way they are, lol.
These chicken enchiladas have such amazing flavor and have quite a kick as well. All you need is some chips and salsa… oh, and my favorite – a margarita!
On a final note, I have to say… This recipe is pretty darn easy to make, and it will give you flavors and taste of a restaurant meal without having to leave the house.
For the enchiladas:
l lb. chicken, cooked (I used rotisserie chicken to save time)
1 cup shredded sharp white cheddar
1 cup shredded four cheese Mexican blend
1/2 cup fresh cilantro
10 medium-size flour tortillas
For the enchilada sauce:
1 tsp. olive oil
1/2 medium yellow onion, chopped
2 jalapeños, chopped and seeded
3 garlic cloves, minced
3 tbsp. chili powder
2 tsp. cumin
1 stevia packet (can substitute with 1 tbsp. sugar)
1 28-oz. can crushed tomatoes
1/2 cup water
salt and pepper, to taste
First, preheat oven to 425°.
To make the enchilada sauce:
- Heat 1 tsp. of olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add chopped onion and jalapeno and cook for about 5-8 minutes to soften.
- Add garlic, chili powder, cumin and stevia and stir well to combine. Cook for about a minute or until fragrant.
- Pour in crushed tomatoes and water, stir to combine.
- Bring the sauce to a simmer then turn heat down to LOW and cook sauce for about 5 minutes until slightly thickened.
- While the sauce is cooking, I take my cooked chicken (however you’d like to cook it) shred it and place into a bowl.
- Once the sauce is done season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Measure out 1/4 cup of enchilada sauce, 1/2 cup of each cheeses and 1/4 cup of cilantro and add to the bowl of shredded chicken. Mix until fully combined.
To build the enchiladas:
- Prep a 13×9 pan and spray with cooking spray.
- Take one flour tortilla and place some filling in the middle and roll up (around the filling). There’s no exact measurement here, you’ll just want to keep each one uniform so they all cook evenly.
- Place the tortilla seam-side down into the pan and repeat until you have used all the chicken mixture and tortillas.
- Lightly spray the tops of the enchiladas with cooking spray and cook in the oven uncovered at 425° for 5-7 minutes until the tortillas start to brown.
- Turn down the temperature to 400° and take the enchiladas out of the oven.
- Pour the remaining sauce on top of the enchiladas and then sprinkle with cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake for an additional 20-25 minutes.
- Remove the foil and bake for 5 more minutes to brown the cheese.
- Take enchiladas out of the oven cool for 10 minutes (and optionally sprinkle with more cilantro).