Chicken Enchilada Pasta Bake
Any kind of Mexican food is very popular in our house… We have tacos, enchiladas or something along those lines every week. What makes it great is that we can make it pretty healthy while having tons of flavor in each dish.
Speaking of healthy, this chicken enchilada pasta bake is one to try. It’s healthy, filling, easy to make and is super flavorful.
We tend to not have a lot of pasta, but with the colder months approaching I love having these comforting and more hearty dishes to cook up. Pasta is always a good dish to make since its even better the next day (making it perfect as leftovers for my husband to bring for lunch!).
Now you may be thinking that pasta can’t be a healthier choice, but with this dish the balance of the carbs, fats and proteins is exactly what you need without going overboard! It’s all you could ever want in one dish that will keep you fully satisfied and is also kind on the figure (which we love!).
TIP: This is a very universal dish, so feel free to get creative with it; switch up the red enchilada sauce to a green chile sauce, top it with a queso fresco and cilantro… Maybe even add shrimp instead of chicken for a completely different dish 🙂
Chicken Enchilada Pasta Bake Ingredients:
- 1.5 lbs. cooked chicken, cut into 1/2 -1 inch cubes and seasoned with salt and pepper
- 2 tsp. coconut oil
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- 1-2 serrano peppers (depending on your desired level of heat)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2-14 oz. cans red enchilada sauce
- 2 cups fat-free reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 8oz. uncooked pasta (I used elbow macaroni noodles)
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup shredded mexican cheese
- 2 oz. cotija cheese, crumbled
- green onions, chopped (topping)
- fresh cilantro, chopped (topping)
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large stockpot add 2 tsp. coconut oil, heat on medium.
- Add chopped onion and pepper and cook for about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant. Add cubed chicken and stir all ingredients together.
- Pour in enchilada sauce and chicken broth, stir to combine. Bring to a boil. Add in uncooked pasta and stir to combine all ingredients.
- Bring back to a boil, then reduce to a simmer for 20 minutes. During this time most of the liquid is going to be absorbed. After the 20 minutes pour in whole milk and shredded mexican cheese, stir until combined. Cook at a simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Most liquid should be absorbed and remaining into a thickened sauce that coats the pasta and chicken. Remove from heat.
- In a 13×9 spray with cooking spray, pour pasta mixture into pan and spread evenly.
- Top with crumbled Cotija cheese and bake for 15 minutes covered with foil. Remove foil and cook for an additional 10 minutes.
- Take out of the oven, sprinkle with fresh cilantro and green onions, cut into 6 equal squares and serve.
Serving Size: 1/6 of the 13×9 pan
Fat: 11 g
Carbohydrates: 34 g
Sugar: 3 g
Fiber: 1 g
Sodium: 1,010 mg (w/o added salt)
Protein: 35 g
The Testosterone Chef is a cookbook all about eating in a way that supports your hormones. With 90+ recipes for both men and women, there's something for everyone in here...
Click here to check it out!