This recipe was one of my first recipes when I started writing out ideas for the upcoming Kinobody cookbook, KinoChef.
It was a great way to mix big, bold flavors with lots of protein.
In short, it’s one of the best chicken enchilada bakes you’ll ever make. Compliment it with a side of cilantro lime rice and you’re looking at a delicious dinner.
Rotisserie chicken (shredded) or 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breast
18 corn tortillas
1 medium red onion chopped
2 jalapeños, chopped (seeded if you don’t want it too hot)
1 tsp. canola oil
3 minced garlic cloves
2 tsp. cumin
3 tbsp. chili powder
1 tbsp. sugar or ½ of a packet of stevia
dash of salt and pepper
1 28oz. can crushed tomatoes
1 15 oz can of no salt added corn
1 cup nonfat refried beans (heated)
1 cup shredded Mexican cheese
¼ cup chopped cilantro salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 375.
- First you will heat the oil in a medium sauce pan, add onions and jalapenos for about 5-8 minutes.
- Then add the next 5 ingredients and stir together. Finally add your can of crushed tomatoes and let simmer for 10 minutes.
- Salt and pepper to taste and set aside.
- Now to assemble the bake you need a 13×9 pan and spray with cooking spray. You will start to layer if just like lasagna.
- Start by laying 6 corn tortillas on the bottom of the pan( they will overlap a bit).
- Spread half of the refried beans on the top of the tortillas, use about half of the can of corn evenly spread out and half of the shredded chicken with a bit of sauce ( make sure you save some for the top layer).
- Then repeat one more time.
- Once you have two layers top the last layer with 6 more tortillas and top with the remaining sauce and place uncovered in the oven for 10 min.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle with cheese and cover with foil for 20 minutes.
- When done take out of oven and sprinkle with chopped cilantro and enjoy.