Buffalo Chicken Tacos
One of my favorite “cheat foods” are any kinds of boneless wings… especially buffalo chicken wings. Finding healthier ways to enjoy your “cheat foods” really helps me keep on track and what I’ve end up realizing that making these small changes and cooking for yourself you start to crave the healthier versions more than the bad.
What makes these buffalo chicken tacos so much better for is probably the most obviously reason – they are baked instead of deep frying. Believe me from time to time nothing hits the spot like some deep fried wings… but these wings will give you all the things you love from the traditional wing without the guilt.
And of course without sacrificing flavor and texture cause we all know a good boneless wing has got to have some crunch to it!
These buffalo chicken tacos are the right amount of crunch, tang from the buffalo sauce and even topped off with a cool ranch sauce. I even added a serving of crumbled goat cheese (you could absolutely sub blue cheese as well!) for that complete wing experience.
Not to mention all wrapped up in a warmed corn tortillas you get a little bit of everything in each bite… perfection!
Buffalo Chicken Tacos Ingredients:
For the Buffalo Chicken Tenders:
20 oz. boneless skinless chicken breast, trimmed and cut into 2 oz strips
1 egg plus 1 egg white, beaten
2 tbsp. buffalo sauce
1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
1/2 cup bread crumbs
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp cayenne
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp pepper
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
For the Cool Ranch Sauce:
1 cup plain non-fat greek yogurt
1 tbsp hidden valley ranch dry seasoning
1-2 tbsp. 2% milk, to thin out (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- Trim the fat off of the chicken, then cut into 2 oz. strips (might have to pound of the chicken a bit to even out), season both sides with salt and pepper and place onto a plate.
- Set up an assembly line of 3 bowls.
- First bowl, all-purpose flour.
- Second bowl, beaten egg and egg white and buffalo sauce.
- Third bowl, mix together panko, breadcrumbs, salt, cayenne, garlic powder and pepper.
- At the end of the assembly line place a baking sheet lined with foil and sprayed with cooking spray.
- Take your first piece of chicken and coat in flour first, then egg mixture, and lastly the breadcrumb mixture, pressing into each side. Place onto baking sheet.
- Repeat until all chicken strips are coated.
- Spray the tops of the them with cooking spray and place into the oven for about 15-20 minutes, or until chicken is fully cooked.
- When the chicken is cooking, you can prep the cool ranch sauce.
- In a small bowl mix together greek yogurt and ranch seasoning until fully combined. Optionally add a couple tablespoons of milk for desired consistency.
- When chicken strips are done and are still hot add half to a mixing bowl and top with about 1/4 cup of buffalo sauce and toss until coated. Repeat with remaining half.
- To build the tacos, warm the corn tortillas, place 1 -2oz. buffalo chicken strip in the tortilla, top with a drizzle of cool ranch sauce (about 1 tbsp), optionally some goat cheese or blue cheese and green onions.
- Serve immediately.
For the Tacos:
Serving Size: 2 tacos (2 corn tortillas, 2- 2 oz. buffalo chicken strips) *
Fat: 3 g
Carbohydrates: 34 g
Fiber: 4 g
Sugar: 1 g
Sodium: 1278 mg
Protein: 31 g
* cheese and cool ranch sauce not included
For the Cool Ranch Sauce:
Serving Size: 1 tablespoon
Fat: 0 g
Carbohydrates: 1 g
Sugar: 0 g
Sodium: 7 mg
Protein: 1 g
The Testosterone Chef is a cookbook all about eating in a way that supports your hormones. With 90+ recipes for both men and women, there's something for everyone in here...
Click here to check it out!