Baked Falafels with Tzatziki Sauce
One of my husband’s favorite things to order out are falafels… I never had actually had them until I met him and I must say – they are absolutely amazing!
It’s basically this little deep fried nugget packed with crazy complex flavors or paprika, cumin, oregano and then paired with a refreshing cucumber tzatziki sauce – which ends up being a delicious combination that just works perfectly!
And for under 40 calories a piece you can put them on a salad or stuff a few in a pita pocket for a really yummy and filling meal.
Baked Falafels with Tzatziki Sauce Ingredients:
For the Falafels:
1 15-ounce can garbanzo beans (chickpeas)
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 medium yellow onion
1 egg, beaten
2/3 cups panko breadcrumbs
5 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. paprika
1 tsp. dried oregano
For the Tzatziki Sauce:
1 cup plain nonfat Greek yogurt
1 cucumber (peeled, seeded, diced)
1 teaspoon minced garlic
salt and pepper
pita pockets (I used the SMART POCKETS, a 100-calorie pita pocket)
- You will want to make the falafels first: start by using a food processor and pulse onion and garlic until minced.
- Take the beans and drain them, pour them into a large bowl and use a fork to mash completely.
- Add onion/garlic mixture to the bowl and stir until well combined. Then add salt, cumin, oregano, paprika, baking powder and egg. Mix until fully incorporated.
- To make the patties, line a baking sheet with foil and spray with cooking spray. Spray your hands with cooking spray and roll the bean mixture into balls (about golf ball size) then place them on the baking sheet and flatten them into patties. Repeat until you have used all the mixture (about 16 falafel patties).
- Since the mixture is pretty wet I refrigerate them for about 1 hour or so, so they don’t fall apart.
- While they are in the fridge you can make the tzatziki sauce.
- Combine Greek yogurt, cucumber, garlic, salt and pepper (to taste), drizzle in a little olive oil and stir to combine. Set in the fridge until ready to serve.
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- In a large skillet heat 1 tbsp. olive oil on medium-high heat. Once the oil is hot place the falafels in the pan and cook for about 2 minutes on each side. Repeat until all falafel patties are seared and then place in the oven for about 15 minutes, flipping halfway through just to make sure they are fully heated and cooked through.
- Once they are all cooked you can start to build your falafel in a pita, wrap or just have them by themselves with toppings.
Nutritional Information: *
Servings: approx. 16 falafel patties
Serving Size: 1 falafel patty
Fat: 1 g
Carbohydrates: 7 g
Fiber: 1 g
Protein: 3 g
* The nutritional information is just for the falafel patty – you will have to account for the pita, sauce and additional toppings.
The Testosterone Chef is a cookbook all about eating in a way that supports your hormones. With 90+ recipes for both men and women, there's something for everyone in here...
Click here to check it out!