Baked Chicken Parmesan
One of my favorite dishes to order when out to dinner at an Italian restaurant is chicken parmesan: perfectly breaded chicken with a rich tomato sauce smothered in cheese… Ahh, so good!
It’s not something I get often, but why not make it at home in a healthier (but still enjoyable) way?
My baked chicken parmesan is so flavorful and yummy you won’t miss the “real deal”. This version has a breading mixture and parmesan cheese (YUM!), as well as some seasonings like basil and garlic… All the good stuff you find in the popular dish.
Baked Chicken Parmesan Ingredients:
[ingredients title=”For the Chicken”]
- 20 oz. boneless skinless chicken breast (about 4 5-oz. chicken breasts)
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. basil
- 1 tsp. parsley
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 2 eggs, beaten
- cooking spray
- Asiago or fontina cheese for a different take; mozzarella or parmesan for classic taste (for the topping)
[ingredients title=”For the Sauce”]
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 1/2 large yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 6-oz. tomato paste
- 1 14.5-oz. can diced tomatoes
- 1 8-oz. can tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper
- 1 tsp. basil
- 1 tsp. parsley
- salt and pepper
[directions title=”For the Chicken”]
- Preheat oven to 425°. Line a baking sheet with foil sprayed with cooking spray.
- Take the chicken breasts and trim fat. Using a meat mallet, pound the chicken breast out to about 1/2-inch thickness (doing this will ensure the chicken cooks more evenly and stays juicy). Season chicken breast with salt and pepper on each side.
- Setup 3 shallow bowls to coat chicken. In the first bowl add the cornstarch; in the second bowl add beaten eggs; in the last bowl whisk together breadcrumbs, parmesan, garlic powder, basil, parsley, salt and pepper.
- Place baking sheet at the end of the assembly line. Start by taking one piece of chicken and dip into the cornstarch coating all sides, then dip into the egg, and lastly the breadcrumb mixture, pressing into chicken to make sure it’s fully coated, then place on a baking sheet. Repeat until all chicken breasts are coated.
- Spray tops of chicken with cooking spray and place into the oven for 22-25 minutes, flipping halfway through. While cooking the chicken you can start to prep the sauce (instructions below).
[directions title=”For the Sauce”]
- In a medium-size saucepan heat olive oil on a medium-high heat. Add chopped onions and turn heat down to medium, coat in olive oil and cook for about 5-7 minutes to softened the onions.
- Add in garlic and cook just until fragrant and then add in the tomato paste, sauce, and water, then stir together until fully combined.
- Add in seasonings, basil and crushed red pepper. Heat sauce at a simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste before serving.
- Once chicken is done serve with a few spoonfuls of sauce on top and then add your cheese of choice. Optionally place back into the oven on broil to melt the cheese.
The Testosterone Chef is a cookbook all about eating in a way that supports your hormones. With 90+ recipes for both men and women, there's something for everyone in here...
Click here to check it out!